ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Saturday 2 February 2013

I MADE AN EFFORT. (02/02/13)

After a freezing cold night the dawn arrived with not a cloud in the sky. When I want a bit of cloud there is non and when I want a bit of sun there is nothing but rain. There is a better sky now but the countryside is awash with children, unruly parents and equally ill-disciplined dogs.

We had a good walk this morning. I enjoyed myself and took loads of bad high contrasty pictures. I made a real effort which only goes to show what a Muppet I am.

_V0G4758_edited-1 Queen Mary’s Bower and my shadow. This is a single shot with a 2 stop ND Grad.

_V0G4731_2_3_fused_edited-1  The same building using Photomatix in Fusion Algorithm mode.

_V0G4737_8_9_fused_edited-1  Chatsworth House…..Again fusion Blended from three images. The scaffolding is still up but the new gilded windows and masonry look superb.

_V0G4749_edited-1    With a 2 stop ND Grad. I played about for ages. The light was very harsh.

_V0G4750_edited-1   And another. It is difficult to get close enough with a wide angle lens and harder to fit it in with a telephoto. I forgot the 135mm lens so it was an academic issue anyway.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is the set up.

It was time to wander back.

_V0G4740_1_2_fused_edited-1 Up to the bridge.

_V0G4754_edited-1     I have always liked this bridge.

_V0G4755_edited-1   Over we toddled.

_V0G4728_edited-1 And back across the park for a late breakfast. I’ll be a little more precise, a second breakfast.

All these images have been processed but I still couldn’t get any warmth into them. It’s winter light, it seems to cast an awful lot of blue. There is a facility on the 1Ds Canon to take up to eight spot meter readings and it will save and average them. I forgot how to do it.  I suspect, as with film, a correct exposure would be that value less a stop.

_V0G4700_edited-1   This is one from last evening much easier on the eye. It rained on the way home.

_V0G4627_edited-1    My supper was waiting outside the van…..cheeky devil gave the lens a peck then when he’d determined it to be inedible he started on my hand and wellies. Another one like ASBO but not as pretty.

I may not post tomorrow as I’m supposed to go out for lunch. Then it’s a drive north to Ravenglass on Monday.

Have a good week.

22 comments:

  1. Loved the last pic the most ... hope he isn't gonna be your lunch tomorrow? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat, they are bred to be shot and eaten.

      Delete
  2. Liked them images Adrian, though that pheasant does look like trouble, have a great week yourself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Douglas, he has adopted my bird feeders. He is not trouble just a bit dim, goes with being a Pheasant.

      Delete
  3. Good to see some blue sky for a change; I suspect it won't last.
    A fine set of images. Looks a lovely place to stop.
    That Pheasant looks pretty mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith too much blue this morning. I left them on auto white balance. I'll shoot a grey card if it's sunny tomorrow and see what temperature the images are balanced against it.

      Delete
  4. Glad you're enjoying your heavy toy. Sounds more like the pheasant was waiting for HIS supper than the other way round... Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monica I have good days and bad days with it. Today was one of the latter.

      Delete
  5. Stonework in bright sunlight is certainly difficult. For my Canon movie camera I have a opaque white lens cap which it uses to determine a white balance.
    Try thinking of it as an average day - not so depressing as a bad day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, it was down to me.....I was juggling too many things at once whilst doing the post. Well two things at once so one too many.

      Delete
  6. A good set of images this morning Adrian, considering that harsh light that you had to work with!

    Looks like that Pheasant could tell what you were thinking!

    Enjoy your lunch date and have a safe drive...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've re-edited a few of them Trevor. I batch process RAW images then send them to Elements. I must have missed out temperature adjustment.
      The Pheasant is outside waiting before dawn. They do have aggressive looking eyes and feet.
      Lunch may be off horses come first.

      Delete
  7. Lovely photography through and through. Love the picture with you huddling up to the camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob a really sharp shadow. I ought to have done some more.

      Delete
  8. You give a nice photography lesson but I'm not concentrating because of the stuff that's in your photos. It's all very interesting. ...the ruins, Chatwood house, sheep. so I liked your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, the new Duke is really giving the place what it deserves, he's doing a great job. By ten o'clock the place is heaving with folk so for once summer is a better time to visit. One has five hours before the hoards arrive.

      Delete
  9. I can see why you like that bridge. It always appeals to me when it makes an appearance in your photos. That last snap is cool.. such a colourful critter. Enjoy lunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary, you have a good memory it must be two years since I last took snaps of it.

      Delete
  10. The bridge brings back memories. So does the river. And walks. In fact the whole area. Sigh. Give it a break GB you're well past sighing now. That's better. Nothing like a good talking to to bring one back down to earth.

    I think you are too picky with yourself. Harsh light is harsh light. It's the reality of that sort of day. But then I know reality isn't really your specialty. Just have to tamper don't you? And why not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, I thought I had juggled white balance...it's one of the first things I do. I also didn't straighten the pictures very efficiently. I was trying to book a camp site, arguing with the chap next door about his dog barking and editing pictures.
      I cleaned three up last night and they are now okay. I'll pop Muppetry and normal on today's post.

      Delete
    2. It brought back two lots of memories for me - the place and the blue light. That was the light I desperately sought when I was in my young teens - it made the Lakeland peaks stand out aso well. Maybe not a technically good look (fromnyour point of view) but so sharp one can almost taste the winter sunshine.

      Delete
  11. I know many people who hunt the blue light. It is far too cold and depressing for me....I like warm yellows.
    I have re-done them...there was a technical hitch during RAW conversion. I forgot colour temperature.

    ReplyDelete