ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Sunday 9 June 2013

THE ROAD TO THE ISLES. (09/06/13)

Despite my prediction of fog there has been barely a wisp of cloud from three thirty this morning until just now when the odd bit of fair weather cumulus has arrived. It is baking hot. Not even a sea breeze to take the edge off.

We had a walk first thing but I didn’t take the camera. I then came back had breakfast and watched the GP qualifying on I Player. It looked freezing in Montreal.

I was just setting out on my second wander when I was accosted by a young lady. I took no notice. It’s not something that happens very often. The Swiss girl staying next door had seen me playing with mine. My camera! Cleanse your minds it’s a religious day up here. She wanted to know why hers wouldn’t work. I took a look, sucked air hard through my teeth as I’ve seen experts do, then after a minute of nodding and perusing….. Asked her. “Where is the battery?” It was on charge in her van, often where mine is after I’ve walked for miles with a useless box of tricks. That problem solved she then wanted to know how to use it on manual settings…..Yes!! My luck has changed but it transpired she was still referring to the camera. I had never realised but for Canon to get an exposure reading you have to half press the shutter button. I’ve just always done it but looking in the book it doesn’t say you have to. Her boyfriend then came out and told her. In no uncertain German terms, that playtime was over. Spoilsport! I know I had much more knowledge to impart.

No HDR today….no need. It is Proper Summer._V0G6841 The little smudges on the horizon are the Summer Isles. So called because they were only noticed after thousands of years one summer.

_V0G6842

_V0G6844 These views are from the shingle beech in front of the van.

_V0G6845  There are lots of these little cottages scattered around…..If the lottery is kind to me I’d get one in the middle of nowhere with a sea view.

_V0G6847  Ullapool Esplanade.

_V0G6849 A bit more of it.

_V0G6846 This is the Road to The Isles. As you can see it’s shut on Sundays, much like everything else. Tomorrow morning the van, dogs and I will be in the queue here. I’m excited…..I’m going abroad.

I’ve framed todays snaps as I know I could come back here twenty times and never see weather like it.

Have a great week.

32 comments:

  1. A favourite holiday destination of mine Adrian and if the weathers fine there's no better part of the world to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, go further on to Scourie. The bridge at Kylesku is stunning as are the barmaids in the pub. It is fantastic up here. There are no really bad places to stop.

      Delete
  2. Very beautiful landscapes picture.
    Nordis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pics ... especially the one with the cottages ... I'll join you for coffee, tea or me ... as soon as your ticket wins :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a perfect, sunny day in a pretty place. I hope you get a good sea breeze soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoLynne, it is not beyond belief that it could snow,

      Delete
  5. It looks good when the sun shines Adrian, i like that house with the tin roof, have a good trip.

    peter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks a very fine place to be Adrian.
    A shame you couldn't impart a bit more knowledge to the young lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, I thought the boyfriend was a little hasty.

      Delete
  7. We've been out playing on lochbroom today in the canoe. It's been warm and sunny. We like Ullapool, rain or shine it's our local village and always friendly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, it's a good job it exists. There is little else around. You live in a wonderful area.

      Delete
  8. magnificent, Adrian! oh, for the days here when every shop, restaurant and bar were closed! my parents would never have had a day off if it had been like it is now. so sad...
    I wonder when I see such charming cottages why the roads were cut in so closely to the cottages. that would be the only reason I wouldn't want one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This road and the cottage were built before cars were thought of.

      Delete
  9. Superb stuff. I only ever hear rain mentioned from people thats been to Ullapool. Look forward to your ferry trip as I have my Calmac Ferry juices going for these parts after my recent trip to the Inner Hebrides. Hey it won't be cheap with the van, I've only ever been a foot passenger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay, the weather isunbeleivable. The ferry is £169.00p return. It used to be about three times that.

      Delete
  10. Love the idea of no-one noticing those islands for a thousand years - climate change? Hope the perfect weather continues for you for a while longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline, I suspect they were called the Summer Isles as they were used for grazing in the summer months.

      Delete
  11. Awesome views of a very barren area,.Now the cottage right by the road. Is it inhabited? the guy would have to watch every time he stepped out to see if traffic was comong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, It looks as if the cottage is empty. The road doesn't go anywhere so not much traffic to worry about.

      Delete
  12. These are also awesome! And tack sharp! Still with the tilt & shift? The perspective looks perfectly straight and so crisp and clear!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning view of the landscape, you've captured them nicely, nice reflection on the houses on the shoreline too. I like the clouds on the second image just popping over the mountain tops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Douglas, unbelievable weather. It looks as if it may change soon though.

      Delete
  14. What a fabulous landscape. Beautiful shots of this amazing scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The pictures make Ullapool look like a splendid little Highland town with its 'Esplanade'. I wonder whether it's ever thought of calling Shore Street 'The Esplanade'. I feel quite silly because I cannot recall having taken a picture of Ullapool like that because I've not taken one since the new pier area was built. I must look out some of my old pictures taken from the ferry when we had boarded back in the days when I used to go and admire the view. Now I just settle down with a book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aye, they can be purchased for a shilling. Not often the dour town looks this good.
    The.'Esplanade' Was me stretching things a bit. Looks good though, looks good for a ferry dock.
    Life moves on Graham, one has to look as life is not as it was.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Perfect picture postcard views :) What a joy to be so lucky with the weather when going over to the islands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monica, it is stunning weather. It lifts my heart.

      Delete