ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Thursday 15 June 2017

GREAT DIVING BEETLE.

This afternoon I managed to catch a beautiful lady. Here she is for your delectation and edification.


A female Great Diving Beetle; Dytiscus marginalis. As you can see I had her in a Tupperware sandwich box. The males look very similar but have smooth wing cases. She is around 30mm long and though I tried to dry her out on the grass she wouldn't open her wings and fly.
Here are a few more views of her.




I did notice a male but failed to net it. I'd like to get a larva. They are much longer and slimmer and can give a nasty nip. I'll see if I can find one.








8 comments:

  1. Oh, I remember those from y childhood, seeing them in streams! Happy beatle-y memories...Wonderful photos as ever, Adrian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances, they are wonderful. They are quite heavy it's a miracle that they can fly.

      Delete
  2. A splendid lady. It freaked me for a split second when I thought that it was a Gisborne Cockroach and wondered what country I was in. I don't think I've ever seen one 'in real life'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, they are common but difficult to spot. they come to the surface to collect air under the wing case but only poke their bums out.

      Delete
  3. Adrian, did you forget? Lava is what spews out of a volcano. The word you want is larva. The mistake does not occur over here across the pond because the two words are not pronounced alike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, I should check. Corrected now many thanks.

      Delete
  4. Tus macros son espectaculares.Los insectos parecen montruos. Espero que encuentres uno.
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete