ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Sunday 16 July 2017

SLITHY TOVES.

The title is from The Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll.
This morning I found hundreds of these larvae all slithering along in the same direction. I tried to influence their course with an LED light but it had no effect. I have no idea what they will grow into.
After much deliberation I have come to the conclusion that these are Fungus Gnat larvae.
Updated on the 18th of July.

16 comments:

  1. gingen ze naar een voetbalwedstrijd??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bas, geen voetbal hier zoals het is cricket tijd. I denk.

      Delete
  2. Intriguing find Adrian, never seen anything like it...I hope somebody can come up with an answer to what they are...were they near to any water?...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trevor, I thought it was a fast moving slime mold until I looked closer. They are a good mile from running water but there are a few puddles closer but still a few hundred yards away. I'll pop it in iSpot.

      Delete
  3. They were sure gyreing and gimbeling in the wabe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob the stuff of nightmares, I've yet to find the fumious Bandersnatch. I wish I could find out what I have found here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never seen anything like it Adrian, great images too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, they are Fungus Gnat larvae.

      Delete
  6. I wonder what you will find one day at that place ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marty, I am often entertained by what is waiting to be discovered.

      Delete
  7. Fungus gnat larvae! Bigger gnats these days than I remember them. It's a remarkable picture though and says a lot about your powers of observation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, never seen anything like it. I bet the gnats are as big as crows.

      Delete
  8. Gosh that brought back memories, I had to recite Jabberwocky as a child. Your photos capture them 'whiffling through the tulgey wood' so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cath, It's a great poem. I think The Owl and The Pussy Cat is it's equal.

      Delete
  9. What an amazing sight, Adrian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard, not a common sight in thee parts and I've seen nothing like it before.

      Delete