ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Saturday 20 February 2010

STRUCK DUMB (17/02/10)

image     We set off from Ravenglass as soon as dawn broke, thought it better to get away early as the road up Wasdale is only about seven feet wide and the van is nine!

Arrived and was lost for words, almost. Not a breath of wind, fresh snow and a cloudless sky. I couldn’t wait so off we set for a low level stroll around the head of the valley. I have just a slight niggling feeling that I could have done better……….I tried my hardest so you decide. I have trouble with exposure….On the camera….! So tried spot metering the sky (away from the sun) and was generally happy. That and white balance set to 5300k gives a super saturated look that I like.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA Wast Water. The deepest lake in the Lake District, I can’t recall how deep, miles probably.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAJust a slight ripple…otherwise a perfect reflection of Yewbarrow foreground and Middle Fell behind. This is a separate shot not a crop of the first image, although I did crop a bit off the top in the quest for symmetry.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAWe waited ten minutes and bingo! This little corner of the lake became as near as I’ve ever seen to a mirror. Magical. I was going to straighten and crop this but some cynic would have screamed Photoshop….As if!

 OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA     The first rays of sun catching Scafell Pike on the right and the shoulder of Lingmell.

    OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA Great Gable on the right and Kirk  Fell to the left. The foreground on this has been enlarged.

   OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERALingmell Beck with Lingmell behind. Through the tree is Great Gable.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA    On we wandered towards the head of the valley passing this grand little bridge. Pity they used Portland cement for re pointing there’s not enough contrast with the snow behind.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA        Another delightful bridge, this time the packhorse bridge at Wasdale Head. Sorry about the errant shadows but this is a National Park and they have a strong aversion to folk lopping branches off trees.

P2172492_3_4_5_6_edited-1        Not York Minster but none the less a simple and tidy little church, the smallest in Cumbria, St Olaf’s Wasdale Head.

P2172487_88_89_90_fused_edited-1       Here’s the interior, both these images of St Olaf’s are blended exposures. It was black as a witches hat inside and not much brighter outside, the church is surrounded by Yews. I could have HDR processed with my now renowned subtle touch. Arrgh!.. OK I did…..

P2172487_88_89_90_91_tonemapped_edited-1        Like them or hate them, you are entitled to. They go down well in certain parts of the world.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

To finish off today, the view from the van as the last of the sun’s rays strike Pikes Crag and Black Crag. It must be thirty years or more since I was last here and it couldn’t have welcomed me with a more perfect day. Where have thirty years gone? That’s a rhetorical question so no need to fill the comments section with suggestions.

4 comments:

  1. A superb selection of images Adrian. Every single one! I reckon these are amongst the best you've done.
    The golden light in the last is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keith as long as they are not perfect that's OK. If I ever achieved perfection it would be time to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Adrian I think you've done a fantastic job here. I don't know what is wrong with people that they haven't commented you off your feet with this post!

    The reflections are brilliant - on the one where the lake was like glass I didn't even see that it was a reflection until I read the text. Great job!

    The bridges are awesome and I like the shadows, they add texture and depth.

    So glad you got sunshine to light up these most amazing views. My favourite shot is the first one, right after the map. I like the saturation too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Krista, to be sure it's a fickle following I have. The problem is that I had no internet, often don't. Tis why I date the posts. Came back Saturday to cyberspace and posted the backlog. Nothing, Zilch, Zero! It really matters not, as the blog is a job or I treat it like one. Some days just finding a half dozen images is a struggle. Glad you dropped on the best three days I've had in ages.

    ReplyDelete