ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Sunday 21 September 2014

PIPE ABOARD THE ADMIRAL. (21/09/14)

The sun shone yesterday afternoon. I was just considering a siesta when I noticed a butterfly flutter past the van. I wandered down into the garden and there were eight Red Admirals and a Peacock all in mint condition. Almost as many butterflies as I’ve seen all summer.

Before I got round to the Admirals I managed to find a dozy blowfly. I have been trying to get a picture for ages but they aren’t very accommodating.

_MG_3676    Greenbottle Fly. Lucilia sericata. This is a male, his wife is no doubt taking advantage of my absence from the kitchen and busy laying eggs on the pork joint that is waiting to go in the oven.

_MG_3674      This was next to it on the same flower. I got both it’s eyes for once and several pictures of it’s bum as it kept turning away. I think this one is Bombus lucorum.

_MG_3680      Red Admiral. Vanessa atalanta. Below are a few more views. I was concentrating on their tongues; they are unbelievably long.

_MG_3673

_MG_3686

_MG_3683

_MG_3682      These were shot with the 100mm with varying lengths of extension tubes and some with the MP-E 65mm. I used ring flash as it is the only way to go for me. I have got a flash bracket but it doesn’t get the strobe far enough away from the lens so I get a nasty shadow.

_MG_3668      This is my favourite and as good as I get.

It was a very entertaining afternoon, thank you to all you butterflies for being such good sports.

Have a wonderful week

32 comments:

  1. Hi Adrian what great finds so late in the season. Wonderful close ups. I am just leaving for home from South Africa having spent 6 weeks in Africa so have a lot of catching up on posts to do when I get home. Did you see the Leaf Bee cutter video I posted yesterday? Thought you might be interested. Hope you are well adn the dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret.
      Have a safe journey. I'll look at the leaf cutters it's a long time since I've seen one.

      Delete
  2. You are really getting acquainted with these I sects aren't you Adrian. Love the transparent wings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I am. It's a pity I can't identify them with any expectation of the ID being correct.

      Delete
  3. I don't know what's more fascinating: the amazing details or vibrant colors!

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Keith, I have about got as good as I can get.

      Delete
  5. Excellent shots Adrian. Butterflies seem to be my nemesis. They always close their wings just before I press the button. We come home with dozens of 'closed and brown' butterfly shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gary they do and if they don't they turn round so all you get is a back view.

      Delete
    2. Lol.....don't they just!

      Delete
  6. Awesome photos. If you hadn't pointed out the tongue, I would not have know what it was. These had to pose for you and you took advantage of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, yes they were reasonably cooperative .

      Delete
  7. Great shots of the butterfly tongue. I have seen so many today, same species but also a tatty Comma, is this a bit late?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Douglas, I'm not sure. It will be the second brood. Peacocks over-winter as butterflies I'm not sure whether Red Admirals do.

      Delete
  8. Wow.. these are wonderful. I can't say that I've ever noticed.. much less photographed a butterfly's tongue before. Amazing captures here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary, they are fascinating and not too hard to get at this time of the year. They are limited for food plants so I just sit and wait. I have seen their tongues before but have never thought of making them the subject.

      Delete
  9. These are very beautiful macros Adrian :)) Remembering my zoology lessons :))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful images Adrian... we've seen lot's of Red A's and Commas in Cheshire today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, it would be good to see the weather hold for a few more weeks. At least two for you.

      Delete
  11. Brilliant series. How did you manage to make it stay when you were that close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, they did keep fluttering off. The distance from the front element is about 11/2" to 2". The Peacocks wouldn't tolerate it. I suspect they were desperate for food and there isn't much choice. There were several to choose from so an hour saw a dozen reasonable shots. One good one and the same amount in the bin.

      Delete
  12. That is a macro Adian, the feeling of the closeness, excellent photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, possibly the last butterflies of the year so a good swan song from them.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Frances, it would be interesting to measure it and fond out how long it is in relation to the butterfly.

      Delete
  14. Amazing. You really got close and personal with nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady L, I was there at the right time as they hadn't long been hatched so were much more trusting.

      Delete