ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Thursday 25 November 2021

THE POINTED STICK.

 This is the last post featuring video props as I've done as many as I can without spoiling the Christmas video surprise. I still have a good weeks entertainment in front of me and possibly a fortnight's as this year I will endeavour to break the habit of a lifetime and instead of just sticking it together I'll animate everything and come back for an edit or two. If I am getting on fine I'll pop a bit of VFX stuff in using the  Compositor. That should bugger things up and make it look normal for Adrian.

I am aware that nobody reading this is remotely interested in 3D modelling but that won't stop me. It's my winter pastime. Now modelling a stick with a pointed end and a curled handle is easy using a mesh cylinder. I decided to push my limits and use a Bezier curve. I have always liked the idea of them but find them a challenge to put it mildly. At the risk of sounding a smart arse I'm slowly getting to grips with some of their foibles. They have been around for all but ten years of my life, they were invented by Monsieur Bezier in the early 60s for creating the curved panels on Renault cars. Don't let that put you off. They can produce pointed sticks as well.

It is okay and recognisable as a pointed stick with a hand hold bit. I used to meet a chap who made walking sticks. He would find a hazel sapling and bend the top over, tie it with string and pop a lump of wood in to flatten the handgrip bit as it grew. A few years later he came back and harvested his stick. He had dozens of them growing here and there but never near footpaths as Townies and kids used to cut the string. He could tie one then wait a bit and tie it again to make a shepherds crook. Now only Bishops use them, presumably for catching little children, shepherds use aluminium ones.

I see we are getting blamed for the drownings in the channel. I can't see why. The French let them go, they got run over in French waters, how can it be our fault. 

What I find interesting is that because of Brexit all the riffraff seem desperate to get out of the EU. I wonder if the EU has become a total shithole (France must be terrible for a Somali to want to risk death and pay for the privilege). I did end up in Djibouti once, never again, it was far too near Somalia for me and French. I have always thought Europeans a bit odd. Whoops! I ought to have said different, a nice Israeli girl taught me that. I forgot, naughty boy. No humptey tumptey for me. Funny girl she was, used to correct me nonstop and there I was living with an Israeli Arab Jewess. She was good fun when she wasn't in a prickly mood.

 Having worked in France, Spain and (Italy a bit) I never had out of normal bother. Mind you I worked in Aden and Port Said and I thought them acceptable making allowances for they being run by Arabs. Aden is a real dump but the locals have a certain charm. I went back three times and only got shot at once and that was by an Italian loon.

Have fun, if I don't post tomorrow then enjoy the weekend.(French. Weekend). I may go Jogging. (French. Jogging).

2 comments:

  1. Adrian, I think the curve on the bendy end is a little over done. Although that might make it stay on a hook better if you needed to bang it. I know a man who grows walking sticks in the manner you describe, I think he uses a native lancewood. I have a beautiful handmade walking pole with a Y shape at the top where I hook my thumb over. That bit is made from ash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline, I ought to have used a reference image and traced it. I will when I do the proper one. I have seen those walking poles with a 'Y' in the top. I am not quite at the stick stage yet but I fear it won't be long.

      Delete