ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Friday 6 February 2015

NOT HAPPY. (06/02/15)

The weather is warming up but not freezing hard enough at night for interesting ice. I have spent ages plodding thorough snow which varies in depth from a few inches to a few feet. It’s very tiring and to make it feel worse I’m surrounded by inversion fog. It’s worse for the dogs but it does mean they sleep a lot.

Yesterday I walked about three miles whilst hunting for Crossbills and never saw anything other than a Wood Pigeon and a few Chaffinch. Kath was sure we would see them so we kept going. After a couple of hours her husband phoned to say he’d just seen a pair of Ptarmigan at low level just off the old logging track so we detoured to try and find them. No luck and I went again at first light this morning and still saw no sign of them or anything else.

The Crested Tits haven’t been back to the feeders whilst I’ve been watching and the Mallard are very noisy as they spend half their time wrestling.

_MG_2596       Drip, drip it is thawing fast during the day.

_MG_2591       There is a bit of colour as the trees have shed most of their snow blanket. I think a fair proportion of it has landed on me. Fortunately there are few folk about to hear or disapprove of my language. Kath got knocked double and just after she had folded her hood away as she was too hot, it is amazing how heavy it is and though I didn’t learn any new words I did hear them repeated for half an hour as the crystals melted and found new bits of her to chill. It’s funny when someone else gets blathered in wet snow.

_MG_2589    Loch Morlich is starting to thaw.

_MG_2597      A dead Scots Pine and Loch Morlich in the murk.

_MG_2598     This is where I thought Stuart saw the Ptarmigan but it must be the wrong place as they eat heather and burrow and the snow is undisturbed.

_MG_2599       A view down the logging  track; it’s not much of a view but it’s one of the better ones.

_MG_2581     At least the Mallard are colourful. I just wish they could rip bits out of each other quietly.

Have a great weekend. I think the snow will continue to melt but who can tell in this climate.

22 comments:

  1. The joys of 'birding' Adrian. Don't give up; I'm sure you'll get the Crossbills soon.
    I like that first shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keith its not just birding but life. I'd rather be around for the good days and make the best of the bad ones. I'm off to the pub with Ron and Blodwyn not sure how to spell Blodwin but it's a rare name up here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I thought those ducks were having a cuddle :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances, whatever they are doing I wish they would do it quietly.

      Delete
  4. It's a shame you 'dipped'...(that's the proper birding term meaning 'I walked for bloody miles and miles looking for that/those f****** (name of bird/s here) and did I find it/them..did I b******s') !!.... on the Crossbills and Ptarmigan, I'm sure you'll find them eventually...don't give up!

    Enjoy your weekend...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trevor, it looks as if it's a better morning. I have to walk the dogs a couple of times a day so I may take a macro lens out and try and trick the birds.

      Delete
  5. Some people always seem to have bad luck Adriaan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bas, it has been a depressing couple of days but that's life.

      Delete
  6. HI Adrian Love the shot of Loch Morlich. Don't give up on finding those birds. You can do it. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've got some decent b&w photos here, mate. Congrats on the thawing, I think. We're a long way from that here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I don't want it to thaw. I used the blue filter in CS6 and just pulled levels in a bit.

      Delete
  8. You put a lot of effort into your search for crossbills. To make it worse there wasn't much else moving. You did get some great snow photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, I have to take the dogs out so may as well try and find the birds whilst out.

      Delete
  9. Oh cheer up, Adrian. You've got some wonderful photos here. I see an eerie face emerging from the clouds in that third image. The two following photos are stunning. And who could resist a pair of mallards - no matter their mood?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary I will. The Mallard are very noisy.

      Delete
  10. I reckon it was the Crossbill's knocking the snow off the trees, I know I shouldn't but couldn't help having a chuckle, still you got some great images from the walk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Douglas, You could be right. Either Crossbills or Pine Martens.

      Delete
  11. ohhh...I love that fourth shot, of the trees with the bleak background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. R.Mac, it was a horrible day but at least it wasn't raining.

      Delete
  12. Snow or no snow. Either is acceptable to me so long as the roads are clear. However I deest the bits in between when it's neither one thing nor the other, the skies are grey and everything's just yucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, sorry for the delay. It does get depressing wading about in soft snow without anything to see.

      Delete