ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Monday 23 February 2015

WINTER RETURNS. (23/02/15)

I have been without proper internet for a couple of days but nothing of major importance has happened. On Saturday I went macroing fungi and guess what? I saw two Treecreepers and a Dipper. I returned for breakfast and swapped lenses but couldn’t find them again._MG_2722  I woke this morning to a few millimetres of fresh snow and off we went for a walk. I’m glad I didn’t delay the wander as it is a virtual whiteout now and the wind has increased.

_MG_2721     Just the right amount of snow for a pleasant stroll.

_MG_2718

_MG_2717      The dogs would have preferred it deeper but it is forecast to keep snowing for a couple of days so with a bit of luck their wish will be fulfilled.

I have got very confused with the fungi.

_MG_2704

_MG_2708

_MG_2709     I found another crop of this on a Silver Birch stump. I am still inclined to think it is Hoof fungus; Fomes fomentarius.

_MG_2712    This has me stumped. It is growing on a Scots Pine and each individual is between 4mm and about 12mm across. It appears to be growing in layers. I’ll have to collect a bit and cut it in half to see if it has a layer of old tubes.

That’s all for today enjoy the rest of the week.

30 comments:

  1. Very nice Adriaan yes here I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is sunny, very cold and blowing here in N.I. At least your dogs love the snow. I hope you do not get too much more. Love all the fungi shots. Sorry I cannot help on ID but I am sure Trevor can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice unintentional pun about the fungus having you stumped. Nice fungus photos btw,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I did notice it but decided to leave it.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do Laura.

      Delete
  5. Oh Anvilcloud beat me to it... I chuckled at that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary, anything for a smile on a slow news day.

      Delete
  6. Adrian, how do you dry the dogs out after your wet/snowy walks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances, I don't bother too much. I just give them a quick rub with a towel.

      Delete
  7. all nice shots

    why is it the white ones love to roll in muck. I just took on a stray white pit bull. At the dog park Saturday she was the only one of the eleven in the pack that chose to roll in the mud.

    Hugs to Mol and Alf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a brown and white collie before these and that used to roll in muck, it just wasn't so obvious.

      Delete
  8. Give them a bit of snow and dogs seem to go bonkers.
    Fortunately we had just a very brief hail shower and a shot fall of fine frozen snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, they love it. They don't seem to feel the cold.

      Delete
  9. The dogs look pleased to see the snow Adrian... I hate the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew they love it and I suspect would spend all day rolling in it.

      Delete
  10. I shiver just looking at the snow. There looks to be a lot of it. Just as well you like it. Not as much as the dogs, though, I'd say. Lovely to see them enjoying it so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline, the dogs like it more as I don't feel the need to roll about in it.

      Delete
  11. I like your winter scene. It looks cool and fresh and the dogs are loving it. We can't win with birds. You can go looking for them and can't find them. When you aren't looking for them, there they are. Have a good week and better internet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, the internet has always been a bit patchy here but I can live with that. I enjoy the birds but apart from Chaffinch they are not very accommodating.

      Delete
  12. Can't help with the fungus ID Adrian, but lovely shots of the dogs enjoying the snow.
    Seems you've got more to come according to the weather folk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith it looked that way but it is horrible wet snow and it's barely sticking today.

      Delete
  13. "This has me stumped" Was that a deliberate or accidental pun? The fungi is growing on stumps! Mind you, you might have been thinking about cricket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, half and half I noticed it and left it. The last fungus is growing on a live Scots Pine but I can find nothing like it. Tomorrow I'll get some proper pictures and post to Wild About Britain.

      Delete
  14. I'd rather hoped to have the opportunity to photograph some 'proper' snow this winter but no luck so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, I come to the Cairngorms for winter. Even here snow is not normal. I guess it's global warming.

      Delete
  15. I think I agree on the Hoof Fungus (though I'm certainly no expert). Could the second one be Turkeytail as I know it can be quite variable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adam, it could be but it seems very small. I'll collect a bit later on and see if that helps.

      Delete