ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Wednesday 10 August 2016

BIG ONE. (10/08/16)

Monday evening just as I was finishing tea a large tractor pulled into the yard. It had only come to fetch the dumper but it was impressive. It would have taken me all on to climb into the cab. I’d have needed some soothing music and a recuperative nap when I got there.

_MG_6748

_MG_6749

  It is smaller than the combine but still an impressive machine.

This morning I took a couple of flower pictures.

_MG_6753

COMMON KNAPWEED

Thank you Keith

I now don’t need to guess which one. I used to think they were non prickly thistles but I am not that daft these days.

_MG_6767

SELFHEAL.

I then wandered into the forest.

_MG_6760

I decided to walk anti clockwise this morning and not twenty yards from the path I noticed this strange fungus. I’m not sure what it is as it seemed to be growing on a pine stump.

_MG_6757

_MG_6754_MG_6756

It is quite large at over a foot across and I think it is Chicken of the Woods; Laetiporus sulphureus.

It isn’t it’s Dyers Maizegill, Phaeolus schweinitzii. Many thanks Trevor.

I have seen this once before but I'm sure it was growing on Oak. This was a bit slimy so even if it is Chicken of the Woods I wouldn’t fancy eating it.

18 comments:

  1. These are very interesting looking, especially in close up :)

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mersad, these are close up but taken with a 24mm lens. I quite like the perspective it gives.

      Delete
  2. The fungus looks like a baked bread concoction. You can't notice the slime in the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, it is an impressive lump whatever it is.

      Delete
  3. I think I can get 'tea' in context now, but it can be confusing. There is the drink, high (afternoon) tea and then tea which is really supper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, it is a social and geographic thing. mid day it can be lunch or dinner but I only ever have a snack around noon. I tend to eat about sixish it could be called tea, supper or dinner. I didn't have much yesterday just cheese and tomatoe on toast with some baked beans. That could count as supper if I had it just before bed but I rarely do that unless I've been busy through the evening.

      Delete
  4. Looks an expensive lump of machinery.
    The knapweed stands out well.
    The fungus does look like home made bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, it isn't the latest 'T' series and I'm not sure which model it is but would guess it's a 6090. About 200HP and six spool hydralics may be more with the front loader. They are not a reaaly expensive tractor like John Deer or Vengt but are a grand bit of kit. The only downside of modern tractors or a major one is that if you are using them for brush busting you rip half the pipes off as they are routed under the machine.
      The flowers are shot with off camera flash but hand held. They don't all work but it's quick.
      I am pretty sure it's Chicken of the Woods but I wouldn't eat it from pine trees and definitely not from Yew.

      Delete
  5. Beast of a tractor; very impressive.
    The Knapweed is a 'Common Knapweed'.
    Strange looking fungi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, I wish they would let me use them. I am allowed to move them ten yards this way and that but not let lose with anything serious behind. I guess it's an old age apprenticeship. The dumper is ten cubic meters capacity and dwarfs the New Holland here and that feels big when you are in the cab.
      I was going to settle for 'Common' as that is all I find unless it's this uncommon fungus. It does look like a bracket fungus. I guess Trevor will know.

      Delete
  6. An impressive variety of subjects here--- Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, just a regular day. I feel under dressed without a camera and a strobe.

      Delete
  7. that fungus looks like a brain! Impressive tractor adrian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, it does a bit and is probably more use than my brain.

      Delete
  8. Impressive bit of machinery Adrian, they've moved on a bit from the little old Fergie!!
    Don't you need to have passed the relevant tests and have a proper licence to drive big farm machinery these days...even in the fields?

    Nice loaf..I mean fungi!....check out Dyer's Mazegill Phaeolus schweinitzii

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trevor, not as far as I know. You do to use fork trucks and excavators if the company is employing people. As far as I know you can drive the big dumpers on a tractor licence.

      Delete
  9. The tractor looks to be a bit of a beast, Adrian, but I suspect most of its brutish appearance is in the wheels - put little wheels on it and it'd probably look a bit of a woos!

    The flower images are beautiful, and the fungus images are rather interesting.

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard, it is on big wheels. They do sound a bit wimpy.
      The fungus is not something I've seen before and it's too large to overlook.

      Delete