ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Friday 30 January 2015

CRYING WOLF. (30/01/15)

I’ve had a very quiet week. I can’t shift this cold and have had little luck with getting any Red Deer Pictures. It’s been a similar story for the Jay, Tree Creeper and Woodpeckers. I know where to find them but that is only ten percent of the battle. I did see the Sparrow hawk take a Wood Pigeon and tied the dogs to a bush and crept up on it. I have seen them catch things before and they’ll usually let me get quite close whilst they hide their catch under arched wings. This one flew off with the pigeon before I got within a hundred metres.

The Met Office have been issuing Amber Weather Warnings but nothing has happened. I was expecting to be buried in snow but all we got was 50mm. None of the main high routes were shut nor were the snow gates closed. I suspect that it was one of the quieter winter weeks. Warnings are only any good if they are relevant. People start to ignore them if they are merely a precautionary guess. I don’t know how much has been invested in computer hardware and software but a few extra phone lines and a quick ring round the country would probably be as effective; far too easy a solution for those Muppets in Exeter, they probably can’t see Dartmoor from their office. A view over high ground would give them a clue. An accurate forecast for the next twenty four hours would be good. The wind is roughly northerly here this morning. Were I to give someone a ring in Shetland then I’d have a fair idea of what to expect.

In between the showers it’s been a good sunny few days but I have few pictures. _MG_2500  Female Pheasant sunbathing in the woods.

20131031     Spot the bird. I have spent an hour following this Tree Creeper round trees. I see him move and get closer and it wanders round the tree. I wander round, find it again and so it goes until eventually it’s too high for a picture.

_MG_2494    Greenfinch, another awkward and unaccommodating little bird but rare here in winter. It’s not a brilliant shot but it is the best I managed. It’s almost twig free and reasonably sharp.

_MG_2514    The snow at it’s best yesterday morning.

That’s all for today Have a good weekend.

32 comments:

  1. The shot of the pheasant, the twilight, is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. R.Mac, the light is but it is looking a bit close to the frame for me.

      Delete
    2. If you were trying to win a photographic competition perhaps Adrian but as an identification picture it's spot on.

      Delete
    3. Graham, I agree it wouldn't win any prizes.

      Delete
  2. Super shot of the Female Pheasant and I love the settings of the number 4.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bob, I love the light on the Pheasant. The setting of number four is the pub. I don't go often as the beer is grim.

      Delete
  3. An exceptional Pheasant shot Adrian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith I have a few more of it. I suspect this one has the best light.

      Delete
  4. You have done very well with the Pheasant Adrian,great light. Have a good weekend too.

    peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter it's the beauty of wandering about. Nothing much for days then a Pheasant bathed in soft light .

      Delete
  5. You are amazing sir. That shot of the RNPH is absolutely stunning as is the last photo on your post! Snow might be a pain but it sure does make for great pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, thanks. I like snow....it brightens up the world.

      Delete
  6. Cracking image of the Pheasant Adrian and a lovely 'Christmas card' shot to finish with...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trevor, I was pleased with the Pheasant. The last one was just luck as it was hand held pre-dawn. The colour was picked with the 50% grey little thingy in Levels. Not quite sepia but luck again.

      Delete
  7. Weather forecasts here too have seemed as haphazard as the weather itself lately. They might be better off giving up and just admit they have no idea where the snow is going to fall ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monica, the forecast is generally very accurate it's just that they exaggerate it.

      Delete
  8. You're just very busy with Adrian,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pheasant photo.
    I think I spotted the Tree Creeper - approx centre, top 1/4?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I'll pop a little circle round it for today's post.

      Delete
  10. No quiero desmerecer ninguna, Adrian, pero la primera es genial!!! Un abrazo, Amigo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jordi, gracias. Como le dije a John que yo pondré un círculo alrededor de la ave más tarde.

      Delete
  11. I hope you soon recover that great health of yours. Now at one time I did have a pilot's license. Weather and forecasting were crucial as I had to rely on it. Yes, they were accurate. You have to know the weather too, before a forecast makes sense. I'm not with the people who constantly criticise forecasts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, aviation weather and maritime weather are totally different forecasting arts to the terrestrial gibberish they have provided this week.
      The two former ones still rely on direct observation taken from ships and aircraft. With the exception of coastal forecasts in the UK in summer they are never exaggerated.
      It's the exaggeration that is dangerous.

      Delete
  12. Weather warnings are useful but, as you say, not always accurate. However they have helped me judge my journeys to perfection this winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, forecasting is generally better but I think by the time the forecast gets to the media the job gets over egged.

      Delete
  13. Great images in tricky conditions Adrian, I'm sorry but I laugh everytime the Met Office issue a Yellow snow warning.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Douglas, ta.
      This was a posh warning an Amber one. It went on for two days. They downgraded it to Yellow and it's just taken me an hour to walk to the shop and back. Snowing fit to bust here but it isn't sticking at loch level. It's a different world 60m higher up the hill.

      Delete
  14. Those houses in the last photo are well framed by the trees.

    ReplyDelete