ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Wednesday 14 January 2015

LAS VEGAS. (14/01/15)

It’s a hundred miles from Oban to the central Highlands. There isn’t much choice of road from Oban so I took the only choice The A828. It was fine if a bit slushy and it doesn’t go up and down hill very much. After the Connel bridge I caught up with a timber truck. They are usually as fast as a Lotus. On the next bend I saw the problem a RAV4 doing 25mph. He went past it a couple of miles later with his air horns a blasting I was about to follow him when the RAV slammed his brakes on. My reactions aren’t what they were but it was the merest of kisses or pecks. No damage whatsoever to mine or his. It turned out he was a Cloggie and had never seen snow. I thought he was a lying Dutch bastard so invited him to report it. I took him for a wimp. I said remember if you restrict the movement and free flow of traffic in Scotland then they take away your car and crush it. It turned out that the poor mite had only driven for a month and was on his honeymoon. I said it’s hard driving in six inches of slush. Where are you heading. We are trying to get to Fort William. I said follow me but not too close 50mph is good as it is difficult weather.

We got to Fort William and at the first roundabout I popped my hazards on and gave him a thumbs up out of the window. He followed me down the wee bypass and into Morrison's car park. They followed me round Morrison’s I could have done with following her. Drop dead gorgeous she was. Far too young and only a week married. I nearly forgot to buy milk and cheese. They followed me to the check out. I checked my chicken crown, bread, milk, cheese and veg. I was going to get a bottle of Campanology but the buggers put the price up after Christmas and I hate being ripped off. As I was waiting in line at the fag counter while the three daft biddies in front were checking what seemed to be a years worth of crumpled lottery tickets. He came up with a bottle of Maclannan gave it me and said thank you. I tried not to accept this gift but not too hard. He said is MacDonalds the same. I assured him it was so he said we’ll take you for a BIGMac. I insisted on paying. I did get a doggy bag for the most of it I couldn’t eat. Off they went for some skiing in Scotland.

I never made the Cairngorms. I left Fort William and got as far as Spean Bridge. Two police cars and a daft sign they had found saying HAZARD. I slid the widow open , had a chat. He said that due to the inclement weather it looked as if the A9 may be closed. But we have another incident on the A82. I asked which was worse. I’m afraid i can’t divulge that information Sir. That’s police speak for I don’t know.I decided on the A82. A two hour wait while they sorted an Audi from the front of a bus.

I took the high road from Fort Augustas. The slippery slidey road. I’m back at Foyers for a week._V0G7677 Not brilliant but  I like the place.

26 comments:

  1. Well quite a day you had with that newly married couple That was nice of them to buy you a bottle and a meal.. keep warm and safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, the Dutch are nice people and they speak better English than I do.

      Delete
  2. What a big softee you are but a nice of them to treat you, stay safe.

    peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter, they were nice folk. Just frightened of the snow.

      Delete
  3. There is something about the place that is inviting. I'm not sure what it is, maybe it's the solitude.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mersad, there are plenty of people around but they all stop for a few words. I get to know lots of new folk.

      Delete
  4. What a day of driving ~ you need to include a map for us Aussie Thongies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol I'll do a map tomorrow or today. I have been for a very wet walk but it isn't nice out.

      Delete
  5. A brilliant post Adrian.. sounds like you are really enjoying yourself. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, as I write this the sun is just showing itself. I'll go out and sort the bird feeder as it looks as if last nights wind trashed it.

      Delete
  6. My pet peeve as a lorry driver cars that should be going quicker bur don't, we always get the blast of horns from drivers stuck behind as they can't see the slow coach in front, but at least the Dutch couple showed their appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Douglas, the timber lorries are driven like rally cars here. They all have a notice on the back saying they are governed to 48mph. Doesn't seem to stop them rocketing around though.

      Delete
  7. Locals can get pretty uptight about tourist driving. We have all kinds of foreign workers. They all get a car as soon as they arrive. They can use their driver's license for 2 years. Needless to say, they are terrible drivers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, the driving here is generally very considerate but it is dangerous travelling too slowly.

      Delete
  8. so do again what with Ruben.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess I am a bit thick but I don't understand why this post was entitled "Las Vegas". I was expecting an account of your gambling exploits in Sin City and no doubt late night visits to lap dancing clubs to see Dutch girls dressed only in clogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, I forgot to make that bit clear. It was all the lights in the picture. Just like Las Vegas.

      Delete
  10. That's a great tactic Adrian...crash into the back of a newly wed young couple who's only aim, while mastering driving in a strange country and trying to overcome the inclement conditions, is to get to their digs and carry on with their honeymoon! And then, by way of apology, you force them into helping you do your shopping and buying you a meal and some booze!...shameful behavior, and not a very good way of impressing upon them the friendly, welcoming nature of the Scottish nation!...[;o)

    btw..Did you see the report on the news about a woman in America who bought a burger and fries from a well known burger outlet. She decided to leave them out on display on her shop counter, just to see what would happen, Guess what?...after TWO years, apart from a slight fade in colour, it looks exactly the same..no mold..no rot..nothing!...all those preservatives and chemicals are doing their job, just fine!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trevor, apart from the Little Mac things worked out fine.
      It's a good job I moved when I did as the road I used yesterday is blocked with 15' drifts today.
      That is amazing....two years and still going strong.

      Delete
  11. You see underneath that bluff exterior beats a heart of gold. Okay perhaps that's going a bit far but you get the drift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, it was the young Dutchess that made the difference. I was spitting feathers when I got out to confront him.

      Delete
  12. Me gusta la foto.Que lo pases bien ahí!!!
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete