ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Sunday 17 May 2015

WHAT A LITTLE GEM. (17/05/15)

It is warm out of the wind but getting out of the wind is the problem. I went out a couple of times looking for insects but everything was blowing every which way. I found a White-tailed Bumblebee and thought it was dead. Whilst setting up to focus stack it I noticed it moving a leg. I gave it a drink of dilute honey and five minutes later it was doing circuits round the van. As I was set up I decided to stack a dandelion seed head.

2015-05-17-10.01.41 ZS PMax This is seventeen images stacked in Zerene using the P.Max algorithm. There are a couple of areas I noticed with artefacts. I then ran the same stack using D.Map with contrast at about 23%

2015-05-17-10.36.47 ZS DMap I don’t do much stacking but it would be a minutes job to paste the good bits from the D. Map image into the P.Max one. This software has come an awful long way in just a few years.

I went out again and as the wind blew a bush inside out I spotted this beauty.

_V0G8340

_V0G8342

_V0G8343      It’s a Green Leaf Weevil; possibly Polydrusus sericeus though I suspect it’s legs are the wrong colour. These will enlarge with a click as they aren’t cropped. It’s a grand start to the week even if it is only very small. I’ll now go and spend an hour ploughing through leaf weevil images but as few have a scale it’s a bit difficult to be sure what I’m looking at.

32 comments:

  1. Haven't the foggiest idea about stacking but I'm a dandelion fan - whether flowers, clocks or leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy, plenty of dandelions around here.

      Delete
  2. What an exciting Sunday you have planned Adrian. Must check out that software sometime, but still not sure how it will fit into the curriculum. Been doing Microsoft's #wespeakcode this last week with all my classes using www.touchdevelop.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I doubt that stacking software wold but it can make some interesting 3D animations.

      Delete
  3. Stacking dendelion heads. Hmm. Sounds interesting. But I love your little green friend. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances, I was lucky to spot it. It's in almost perfect condition.

      Delete
  4. fantastic shots, Adrian! Though I don't like dandelions, they produce wonderful photo opportunites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norma, They are good food for insects.

      Delete
  5. Don't have a clue what you are talking about, but I love the shots. Have a lovely Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the pearlescent green colours on the weevil fantastic looking critter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Douglas, it is a beautiful finish on them but if you touch them it comes off. They usually end up a grey/brown colour.

      Delete
  7. HI Adrian Love the dandelion seed head and I think the last shots are superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little weevil made my day. How sad is that.

      Delete
  8. I reckon you're spot on with the Weevil ID Adrian, you're getting to be a real bug man now!
    Super shots btw...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trevor, I'm hooked on the little blighters. I was lucky to spot it and luckier still that it was still green.

      Delete
  9. There is a way in Zerene to correct the odd mistake. Enlarge the view of both panels so they show the area you wish to correct. Cycle through the original shots to find one that looks correct at that point. Then you can paint / replace (Can't remember what they call it) just that section from the original.

    Well done in finding the green beastie and getting brilliant shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I'll have to look at Zerene tutorials again. It does so much more than I have ever made it do. I was impressed it dealt with all these fibres.
      The weevil is ideal as not too much goes blurry with it being so small. They do keep moving but not very quickly.

      Delete
  10. I keep hoping for more landscapes but shits like these are warming me up to the macros. Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, I'll try for some landscapes, shit shots like these can be boring but they are the devil to take.

      Delete
    2. Oh dear - sorry - that was predictive text not a comment on your skills. As I hope the rest indicated, I think you make beautiful images of unlikely subjects.

      Delete
    3. I thought it was brilliant.

      Delete
  11. I have no idea what you said...but I enjoyed the shots. Hugs to Alf and Mol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. R.Mac, dogs are fine, I struggle with some of this software.

      Delete
  12. Some of these insects are real beauties??? You make some great photos that show the details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, I am reasonably happy with this little mite.

      Delete
  13. I love your work, Adrian, and these images are extremely impressive. You've got me wondering if I can find the time to investigate the image-stacking process. It might just be a step too far for me, but the more I see of what can be achieved, the more my interest is growing.

    I found myself laughing out loud at your response to Jean's comment - priceless!!

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard, I have yet to find a way to stack live insects. I am not keen on killing them just for a picture. The stacking software is not expensive I prefer Zerene to Helicon. To stack really small things at high magnification really meand getting a controlled focussing rail and they are expensive unless you are good with micro-controllers and electronics like Arduino.

      Delete
  14. Stacking would be a good way to get the DOF right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, it's the only way but only works on dead insects.

      Delete
  15. Ni idea de lo que hablas, yo no me complico con las fotos...Cada g día tus "mostruos" son más grandes ;))
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, como yo sostengo el más constante de la cámara. Puedo aumentar la ampliación. Es divertido.

      Delete