ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Wednesday 12 August 2009

A DOG WITH TWO TAILS (07/08/09)

Rained cats and dogs last night and still giving it it's best at four in the morning when I woke with the intention of going to Staithes. will have to save that for another day. By seven thirty the skies had cleared and a bright sunny day looked to be the new order of things.

Some months ago I started to investigate the purchase of a long lens, though a fan of the Olympus Zuiko lenses I could not justify the horrendous cost. So decided that a Sigma 50mm-500mm was within budget and would do the job. I had reservations about the sharpness of such a budget lens but having wandered out with it this morning am pleasantly surprised. It's sharp enough for me and hopefully for you. The pictures today were just taken for familiarisation so skip them unless you are thinking of buying a Sigma lens. All were taken with the help of a monopod.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA BLACK DUCK.......ISO 400, 1/100sec, f/11, 500mm What is it please?

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA WEE BROWN JOB......ISO 400, 1/800sec, f/10, 500mm. What is it please?

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA BOULBY POTASH MINE.....ISO 400, 1/800sec, f/9, 500mm.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA INSULATOR.......ISO 400, 1/640sec, f/10, 449mm.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA GREEN VEINED WHITE......ISO 400, 1/800sec, f/6.30, 268mm.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA WALL BROWN.....ISO 400, 1/500sec, f/9, 500mm.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA PAINTED LADY.....ISO 400, 1/500sec, f/9, 500mm.

I'm like a dog with two tails, OK so they are not perfect, but this lens will do me. It's worth remembering that with the four thirds system this 50mm-500mm lens is equivalent to a 100mm-1000mm lens on a full frame camera. Will try it with both an extension tube and I also have a x2 teleconverter, that should be fun!

3 comments:

  1. The lens looks to be working ok to me Adrian. That insulator looks very sharp.
    And the little brown bird? House Sparrow; a lady one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks keith. yes I'm pleased, it'll do the job for me, and at a fraction of the cost of Zuiko.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. It certainly looks pretty sharp.

    The only all black duck in the UK is a Common Scoter and it certainly isn't one of them 'cos apart from anything else, the beak's completely different. In fact, and I'm sure if CJ/Scriptor reads this he'll have an idea, I think it may be a 'domestic' duck of some sort.

    ReplyDelete