ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Saturday 29 May 2010

STILL HERE (29/05/10)

We are still in Whitby and look as if we will be till the end of next week. It’s been a busy few days with not much chance of getting out for pictures. Not that I can walk far, though the leg is gradually improving. If it doesn’t hurry up then I will have to acquire one of those electric buggies and get my own back by rushing around town knocking old age pensioners over.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA  Whitby harbour entrance………..Whitby entrance is north facing so is the only place on the east coast of the UK where one can witness the sun both rise and set over the sea.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

On the east side of the river Esk the old town is a veritable rabbit warren of these narrow streets.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA The old Anchor……….

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA……..The plaque explaining it’s providence…………

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA ……The Old Lifeboat Pier where it resides.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA    A Yorkshire Cobble a fishing boat unique to this coast and an endangered craft these days. Originally they sailed down wind and were rowed upwind. This one is diesel powered and is off out gill netting for, I assume, Salmon. They anchor the Cobble then row the net out across the tide………..Hard work!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA      Here she is on her way back into port……………For their sakes, if not for the fishes, I hope they had a successful day.

These pictures were taken over the past month, I have enough for at least another post and hope to get out a little more often next week.

I hope the sun shines on your holiday weekend.

 

4 comments:

  1. Seeing the photos of the harbour reminds me of the once I went for a trip out on one of the 'pleasure' craft. The choppy sea didn't get me but the smell of diesel fumes didn't help the digestion of my lunch one little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, I can sympathise but I'm fortunate, that in almost a million miles at sea I have never chundered. I must admit diesel is bad but blocked toilets are worse!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating. I've not seen that sort of fishing before.

    The old town stree you've shown reminds me of The Shambles in York. It rains there too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GB, common on the north east coast the nets are now limited in length and have to be attended. They also use this method in south west Ireland I seem to remember. It's not as old as York but still quite attractive.

    ReplyDelete