ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Thursday 27 January 2011

ROBINS OF THE RIVER (27/01/11)

Several hours hunting for Dippers has proved futile. The river had risen about a foot during the night so the rocks they usually perch on were under water…………..We had a good walk up and down either bank but not a Dipper or Dipper feather in sight.

There are two pairs of Goosander but they were flying past low and fast. They can’t half get a move on. Where they were going I don’t know but it was nowhere within a mile of me.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA   At least I managed a couple of blurry shots. They do fly beautifully.

Thank the Gods for Mallard, like the Robins of the River. They are quite happy to be photographed.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

As is the peacock…………..he was displaying but not for me and his tail is a bit scruffy……..he impressed the dogs though.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I'm not surprised he is bigger than they are and almost as noisy.

I was going to move on tomorrow but as the forecast is reasonable I’ll stop an extra day and have another Dipper expedition. They can’t have gone far.

All shots will enlarge if you so desire. See you tomorrow.

9 comments:

  1. I love watching Dippers especially on the River Wharfe in the Yorkshire Dales - lovely birds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will watch and wait for the dipper images. Sometimes they are hard to get, at least in my neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the Dippers Adrian.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the Peacock, but, he will have to wait for the breeding season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the peacock portraits. Fortunately the photos are quieter than the bird.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Petrus, smashing little birds. They are quick though.

    ITTL, Don't hold your breath.

    Keith, yesterday was useless. so little light and no sign of them.

    Bob, he is wandering about strutting his stuff.

    JoLynne, They are horrendously noisy but beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shot of the ( waterskiing !! ) Mallards and I like the Peacock too. I don't often take pictures of our winged friends but I remember having a challenge once with a Peacock at Scone Palace in Perth as it was going about it's business ! The portrait shots worked better as you have achieved here even though I was looking for the full plume.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jay, a good display has to be snapped but if they don't play ball the head is impressive.....easily pleased am I.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jay, The ducks are mainly practise but they are gorgeous. Just because they are commonplace shouldn't detract from their intrinsic elegance.

    ReplyDelete