ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Tuesday 6 April 2010

IT NEVER RAINS BUT IT POURS (06/04/10)

image

image         Here we are in a wood about a mile south west of Haltwhistle. I never got around to a post yesterday as on the way a Pheasant flew up and trashed the nearside mirror. I didn’t do the bird any favours but it was a quick end for the poor thing. The glass was fine it just wouldn’t adjust, so a couple of hours stripping, aralditing and reassembling was successful, just as well the blessed things are four hundred pounds.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA                We left Ravenglass in rain that would have had Noah dashing for his tool kit. After a stop at Tesco, this time I had a list, we arrived mid afternoon as the rain was stopping. We are parked in a small clearing all on our own which suits me fine after the chaos of Easter weekend.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         Very peaceful our nearest neighbour is a good two hundred yards away. I’m glad we came here, it has potential. There are two castles within walking distance, the river runs past the door and there are acres of woodland to explore.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         The River South Tyne…………Not by the look of things Kingfisher country but I have seen Oyster Catchers.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA There are Dippers on this tributary, called Park Burn.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         The woods downstream of me are semi flooded and very attractive.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         This is one of the deeper pools, I was investigating it for life when Molly shot off. I looked up and two hundred yards away a dozen Roe Deer in full flight with a wee white dog doing her best to catch up. No chance of stopping her so it’s sit down and worry time. Worry time! The hour it took her to return felt like a week. When she eventually sniffed her way back we were both so pleased to see each other it was as if she had been gone a month. I usually keep her on the lead but she has been good, even to the point of leaving rabbits alone. She will be on the lead from now, little devil, a few more grey hairs and one very tired dog.

  OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA She even found a bone on the way back, doesn’t deserve it.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis moth is also reading the site rules. I think it is one of the various Beauties but can’t find it in the book.

Tomorrow it’s either castles or birds, the feeders are out on a tree next to the truck and are attracting Nuthatches and a great spotted Woodpecker as well as the usual Robin, Great Tits and Chaffinch, could be an excellent week. Time will tell.

 

10 comments:

  1. Found yourself a good spot there Adrian. Nice and peaceful. I hope apart from the twitter of birds. wont mention what kind!
    now the poor pheasant. I hope you did not put it in the pot. first its an offense to hit a pheasant and pick it up. if it happens to be hit by another vehicle. then you may pick it up and eat. do not like pheasant personally but the cats loved them. but there again it was the hanging of the bird for a few weeks to make it taste gamey, that put me off not the taste but the maggots. have a nice stay in the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely river, the South Tyne. Have you been up to Alston to see the South Tynedale railway
    http://www.strps.org.uk/
    and also the amazing museum called The Hub - full of engineering wonders
    see http://www.alston-hub.org.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shots Adrian. So glad Molly came back okay...a long hour I reckon.
    Looking at the photographs I would say you have great birding potential on your doorstep. How about a Hawfinch to wet our appetites?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have been out of my mind if Hesper did that! Looks like a nice place Adrian. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tony if the rain would stop. I would have had it but for the truck behind and bugger their Lordships. Would the estate fork out for a mirror? like buggery they would!

    Phil, thanks will look them up and have a look. No rush this year. What is the Moth?

    Trevor, a Hawfinch would be a first, so would a dozen others, I've only been taking note for a few months. Had a good afternoon by my standards.

    Angie, I was seriously thinking of topping myself. Amazing their sense of smell she follows her own scent back for over a mile or so. She should have stopped but a Terrier is always a Terrier do as the boss says if there is nothing better to do. all is well that ends well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adrian. Looks like you have found yourself a super spot there next to the South Tyne. I am looking forward to seeing some roe deer as I am sure is Molly !! Glad she returned safe and well. Looks like the weather is settling down at last. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad it all ended well for you and Molly.

    It looks good and quiet but it also looks COLD.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brian, it's great here, She can find her way back, it's amazing how she follows her own scent.

    GB, she does it about once a year, little sod! Not too cold but very wet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful place to stop at. Just a tiny bit envious lol

    Four hundred quid for a mirror? Really? Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keith it seems to be a grand spot, adjustable mirrors are a small fortune for anything.

    ReplyDelete