ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Wednesday 24 June 2009

LIME KILNS AND FLOWERS

P6244838_7_6_5_4_edited-1

LIME KILNS MILLERS DALE QUARRY

A very difficult thing to photograph, but passing this morning the sun just catching it made me think it worth another go. The tunnels were used for lighting the thing, clearing obstructions, and emptying after it had burned out. The product was quick lime, very corrosive, it was mainly used for reducing the acidity of the soil as although this area is limestone prior to cultivation it was covered with peat and heather which made the soil acidic. I dread to think of the state of the quarrymen after working in here.

P6244833_32_31_30_29_edited-1

TOOT HOLES AND EYE

Behind this wall there is a fire brick lined vertical kiln about 15m/20m tall. A pile of kindling was tipped in, then alternate layers of limestone and coal, until it was full. It was then left to burn out, presumably they kept adding coal and limestone whilst the burn was progressing.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Should have given this a wipe, sorry.

P6244813_11_10_12_09_edited-1

MILLERS DALE LIME WORKS

P6244868_6_5_7_4_edited-1

VIEW UP CHEE DALE FROM THE TOP OF THE KILNS

The grey streak centre horizon is the modern equivalent, smoke from the kiln at Tunstead, this being a modern rotary cement kiln.

P6244905_4_edited-1

A PLETHORA OF WILD FLOWERS THAT HAVE COLONISED THE PLATFORMS AT MILLERS DALE STATION

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

MANIPULATE AN EXPOSURE------(NOT I!)

Lovely day here and the grass is mown, thank me.

2 comments:

  1. Some great shots. I really like the wall with the sun on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tricia, about as good as it gets here I suspect.

    ReplyDelete