ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Monday 8 June 2009

PHOTO LOCATIONS DERBYSHIRE---SECRET WATERFALL EYAM

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

SECRET WATERFALL

This is an interesting place to go. A waterfall about 10m/15m tall in a hole in the ground. Access is easy but make sure you find the path, not easy in summer as it is overgrown. Either way you will make your way to the bottom, but there are steep cliffs, your entry could be a lot quicker than you anticipated and possibly fatal. Not a place to mess around. I have marked the rough position of the entry/exit route on the diagram. it is a steep slippery journey but should not entail scrambling and certainly not climbing.

image

image

Parking is limited to one vehicle, the track to the east is used regularly by farm vehicles. I've no idea what the legal access situation is, so best not to upset anyone. I'm a little surprised that some busy body hasn't already fenced it off or filled it in. Can't see the landowner being that bothered, it's of no value to him or her but could prove to be a liability. Just tread softly and be polite if challenged.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

THE WATERFALL

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

THE WATERFALL 2

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

HALF A WATERFALL (Thought you needed a change)

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

THE WORLD OUTSIDE

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

AND FINALLY A WATERFALL

You need to go after heavy rain, so it is going to be wet, sometimes very wet! Wellies are a good idea and not your best clothes. Wide angle lens, zoom, prime the choice is yours, there isn't a lot of room so you get a fair bit of distortion with wide angle. A tripod is a necessity some of these exposures were 13s at 100 ISO and 1/8ths at 800 ISO. All the full views with exception of the last are stitched panoramas either vertical or horizontal. If you have a big flash gun then it may come in handy especially in winter, when, though the leaf cover is absent the sun doesn't reach the bottom.

Hope you enjoy this rather different venue, Happy Snapping.

BACK TO INDEX

8 comments:

  1. Besutiful shots (and sensible advice). I've always meant to do some slow water shots and never got around to it. You've inspired me again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for posting this location - what a hidden gem. My effort (150 second exposure):
    http://www.adamwynne.com/slideshow/waterfall1/images/IMG_2792.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adam, You did it proud........glad I was of some help,,,,all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going to try and find this today - your directions look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    I found, and what a beauty it is. So easy to drive straight past at 50mph with out even thinking there was anything behind the trees. Your directions were brilliant. A few updates:

    - In the winter, you can get 2 cars into the parking space - I had to.

    - I spoke with the man who owns the building across from the track - mainly to see if I was going to be trespassing on his land. He told me that its nothing to do with them and in fact 3 months ago it was sold to the national trust. He also mentioned that for the 30 years he has lived there they have seen people going down the hole! Now the NT have it they have fixed the drystone wall and put a gate in (no lock) so advise going through that.

    - Definitely go after rain. I saw Adam's post about a 150s exposure. I was getting away with 1.3-2.5s (ISO50, f/22, ND8 grad - sometimes). I will post a link to an image(s) in a while. There was tonnes of water - and spray to go with it. Just looking back at your shots I couldn't even get to the right hand side as the pool of water was so large and deep. My close up shots came from the lefthand side.

    - my lens was 24mm at widest and got a lot of the surroundings in. It was on a full frame Canon 5D but I imagine even a cropped sensor with kit 17mm lens wold be OK.

    - Some mud was very very deep - especially near the edge of the pool BEWARE.

    Thanks for sharing this location.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simon, I'm glad you had a successful outing. I found it in a very cold spell over forty years ago. It can freeze in winter we used to climb the ice.
      Be very careful wandering around down there. The water flows out down a sink hole I suspected I could too. It is a welly job at any time.

      Thanks for the update. I hope the NT don't start charging. I was wary of posting this as I didn't want to attract attention to it. It has had more hits than any other post I have written by at least one hundred percent. It may go to show what drivel I usually publish.

      It is a magical place. I used to be going at at least seventy past it. I'll stop and give it another go when next I get home.

      I'll be thrilled to see what your camera made of it. You can contact me via my blog or e-mail at ward.adrian@rocketmail.com

      Delete
  6. Hi,

    I can't see that the NT will be able to do anything with it unless they put a proper set of steps down!

    I wouldn't like to start climbing up a frozen version of this, you're braver than me.

    Here is a link to a portfolio I have on ephotozine I shall post images from the day on there over the next few days / weeks if you want to keep checking (its limited to 1 per day). First one is up now,

    http://www.ephotozine.com/user/evap-27823

    Thanks
    Simon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simon, I wouldn't and couldn't these days. I was a little mad at one time but am a little better now.
      You have made an excellent job of the expedition. I will await the rest with interest.

      Delete