ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Friday 29 May 2009

PHOTO LOCATIONS DERBYSHIRE---MAGPIE MINE

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Magpie Mine is located a mile south of Sheldon, near Bakewell in Derbyshire. Access is good, about a half mile walk on a track from the road see map below

 

 image

 

image

 

Parking is limited at the side of the road, there is a field centre on the site but I have never been when it has been occupied. In fact I've never seen anyone else there, not too surprising it can be a bleak and windswept location. a concise history of the mine can be found here.

There are endless photographic opportunities, below are a few images by me, hope they don't dissuade you from going. My photography has much in common with my blogging, very middling as we say round here. However I keep trying.

 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

REMAINS OF THE CORNISH ENGINE HOUSE

 

 

P5283823_2_1_edited-2

HORSE GIN (This is a modern reconstruction)

For more information on Horse Gins go here

P5283811_10_09_edited-2

 MILLSTONES USED FOR ORE CRUSHING

P5283800_799_798_edited-2

ENGINE HOUSE INTERIOR

P5283775_4_3_edited-3

WINDING DRUM

I usually take a polarising filter, wide angle lens and a telephoto. The last four images are all HDR, so if you're not into that then a graduated filter may be a good idea. Take some warm clothing and happy snapping.

INDEX FOR PHOTO LOCATIONS       CLICK

1 comment:

  1. Adrian

    This is a very useful guide. I knew of the site but did not know if it was worth a visit, but it looks a very interesting industrial site with good photo-opportunities, so now it's on my list!

    ReplyDelete