ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Thursday 7 August 2014

UNDECIDED. (07/08/14)

The Zoom stereo microphone and recorder arrived this morning. It cost the thick end of seventy pounds sterling. It does the job but I was amazed how plasticky it felt. It uses a micro SD card that holds 2GB. I eventually popped it into it’s slot, it blew away when I sneezed, smaller than a postage stamp it is and not much thicker. It can stop where it is in it’s slot and I’ll use the USB port to pull the sound from it.

It is palm of the hand size but very ticky tacky plastic. It would be worth a bit more were it built inside a rubberised case. It would feel better if nothing else but feeling microphones is a no-no. A Cardinal sin , as a few of the many feely Cardinals would tell you. I am still waiting for twenty pounds worth of accessories to arrive. I get a hard case to keep it in, a USB cable that I don’t need, a handle for holding it and an external power supply. I have also ordered a rubber mounted hot shoe holder for it.

It can record up to 35hs of MP3 sound and about 2hs of WAV at 48khz and 24bit… that is overkill. It also has auto Low Cut and auto levels and a little light that flashes to show you if it is peaking, it is adjustable for both manually. It’s two channel but will accept a Rode or any other microphone but that drops it back to two channel not three as some reviewers state. The external microphone plug switches off it’s own X/Y axis non adjustable microphones.

_MG_3332      Here it is. The wire was something I have lots of it just runs to a set of JVC ear plugs so I can hear what it is doing. I gave it a whirl and with low cut and even in 20mph of wind it is spot on. I put a foam cover on and it was perfect….no wind roar at all even with the Low Cut turned off. It does hammer AA batteries but so do the strobes. That’s why Maplin sell great batteries at seventeen pounds a hundred.

I can balance both channels but don’t think I can balance them independently. I suspect if I look into it that sound editing software can. Not that I’d know what to balance. I am happy with it but there again I am a numpty, I know little about recording sound last time I did it it was four track and lots of gear which I had trouble lifting and that was forty years ago. This is so light I could forget where I had put it. I remember putting condoms over microphones it cut extraneous noise perfect.

I have not been idle I have resurrected the 3D title I was trying a year ago. I started again. I want a ten to fifteen second title in front of my videos but I would like a pile of dust that slowly rises from summat and makes the letters that go into Adrian’s Images. I then pop them on a little UV mapped image and light them. Blender is bloody hard. It is also awfully memory hungry. I could do with larger monitors. I have over fifty layers and I am no starting to bake yet I have learned to give everything meaningful names. I hope I have. I can see it ending in failure.

Have fun.

 

21 comments:

  1. Yes!...er...okay then?
    Good luck..looking forward to seei...hearing the results...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trevor I love watching what the BBC do they just go through time lapse and all sorts in milliseconds, stuff that has taken ages to produce. I just love it but my computer doesn't.
    I looked at Fox News and they don't spend any effort at all. I am an ignorant wanker but Fox News are professionals

    ReplyDelete
  3. I reckon you might start to get some strange looks from passerby's when you whip out the condoms :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Douglas I worked unpaid on the old Golf GTI advert. The sound men used condoms on their microphones. They used to blow into them and pop.em on. Over a furry cat. Don't go near sound people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adrian, I haven't banned anyone. Please see the comments section of my latest post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heads spins at the stuff you get into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, this must be the limit. It becomes more than a one man job.

      Delete
  7. Ya oiremos los resultados ;))
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ever heard the expression - "Making a rod for your own back"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, it works not quite as I expected but not to worry.

      Delete
  9. Words fail me ( rare, I know).....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances, I made up for your silence. The air was blue here yesterday.

      Delete
  10. I cannot keep up with what you will be up to next. I am off to Malawi tomorrow for 6 weeks, hope to do some post but probably will not have time for commenting. My camera got wet and has died!! Now deep in a bag of rice! Borrowed Jimmy's camera as going to Africa without one was NOT an option!! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a good holiday. It's something I dislike about the Canon cameras. They are not very weather proof.

      Delete
  11. Adrian! I'm very curious about your futur work with this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, I'm just trying to improve the quality of my videos. There is a long way to go.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Maria, it would be better if I could get WAV files into CS6. I have just got Acoustica so that should solve the problem.

      Delete