ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Tuesday 31 March 2015

BIRDS AND BONFIRE. (31/03/15)

It’s really not fit to take a dog out. Squally sleet and snow showers; disgusting weather.

I noticed the other day that one of the Pied Wagtails is a much lighter colour than the other two that visit.

_V0G7729      A normal one.

_V0G7734     This one is much lighter it almost looks like a juvenile but I can’t imagine it is at this time of year.

On my way back from the bins I collected a bit of moss.

_MG_3134    What a tangled moss. This is Bonfire Moss. Funaria hygrometrica.

_MG_3144    This is the same stuff magnified. I think the bit of cobweb stuff is exactly that but I did notice that when viewed large the spore thingies have a membrane round them.

It’s a wonderful world we live in and what is more I didn’t get cold and wet taking the pictures today.

26 comments:

  1. I reckon the second Wagtail could be a White Wagtail though I struggle to separate the two species, Keith will tell you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Douglas, Keith may and he may not. I can remember taking the piss a bit over his White Wagtail.

      Delete
  2. I love those little shiny pears, even if they are in mm....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances, they are metric today but non the worse for it.

      Delete
  3. Adrian, I think you've caught a White Wagtail in that second image...but, I have to agree with Douglas they're not always easy to tell apart from Pied Wagtails.....we'll have to leave it for Keith to have the final say!
    Excellent macros of the moss...but isn't that cheating by taking it into the warmth and comfort?...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trevor, yes I'll await the arbiter.
      It is sensible not cheating. It is horrid up here.

      Delete
  4. Nice find!!! Wagtail came to mind when I saw the pics. Hopefully it will warm up for you to get those dogs outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, the dogs are outside. I hate cold and wet and so do they.

      Delete
  5. I didn't know there was a white wagtail.
    Dry and warm - my ideal photographic conditions.
    Lovely clear mossy shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, the White Wagtail is a recent invention.
      I agree it is pleasant sitting inside to macro.

      Delete
  6. On the way back from the bins I collected a bit of moss ~ not a rolling stone then Adrian?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Moss will never be the same again in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, there is not a lot else to take pictures of. I see the Dogs Mercury is just sprouting. Daffodils are out but I'm not keen on them.

      Delete
  8. After much deliberation and consultation of a couple of books, I'll go with female Pied Wagtail for the second bird. They are a bugger to tell apart at times.
    The back of the White female is a much lighter grey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. Female Pied it is. It makes sense as it is in loose association with the other wagtails.

      Delete
  9. HI Adrian I would have to agree with Keith, probably White Wagtail but I would not put money on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, Keith says Pied so Pied it is.

      Delete
  10. It's not pleasant when nasty weather comes. However, it caused you to pick up the moss and have a good look at it. Interesting that you identified spider web.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, I'm not sure it is spider silk but I can't think what else it could be.

      Delete
  11. A very interesting view of moss, worth taking a closer look, and good that you didn't have to get cold and wet for it too. Lovely bird, a new one to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gillian, they are relatively common but rarer up here in Scotland.
      The weather is not really good for walking. Sunshine and vicious showers of sleet and snow.

      Delete
  12. Vives en plena naturaleza Adrian.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me encanta mirar la naturaleza magnificada.

      Delete