ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Thursday 9 May 2013

THE QUEUE. (09/05/13)

Today is just as forecast…..sunshine and showers. We had a good wander down on to the start of Rannoch Moor and only got a little bit damp with the exception of Alf who fell in the morass. He was soaked.

The light was changing really fast this morning so my intention of taking a couple of big panoramas was postponed.

All images today are straight out of the camera and the pigs are fed, watered and ready to fly.glencoe pan1090513 I can’t get a map of this area, it’s a nuisance as it means I can’t identify the ridges and mountains. This is a stitched shot taken at about 270mm. I am quite taken with this system. Saves me walking for ages only for the mist to descend.

_V0G6276_7_8_tonemapped copy The view over Rannoch Moor.

_MG_0354_5_6_tonemapped copy Another view of I know not what. I’ll get mapped up on Monday and so hopefully avoid this embarrassing situation.

_V0G6294_5_6_tonemapped copy  This, as you can, see is a much photographed bothy. It was only seven thirty and I was third in the queue. I eventually got my turn……

_V0G6297_8_9_tonemapped copy   It is the only interesting building for miles so for a whitewashed shed it gets more than it’s fair share of attention.

_V0G6291_2_3_tonemapped copy  Buchaille Etive Mor.

It’s okay here. There are a couple of Cuckoos neither of which I can find but I can hear them almost constantly. I’ll have another look this afternoon. I found Red Deer tracks this morning and they were fresh but the dogs didn’t go into deer mode and I looked everywhere but couldn’t see them.

I’m here till Monday then I’m going down to Loch Linnhe for a few days then popping back into Glencoe. It’s a grand life and a Golden Eagle perched on the van would make it perfect. I’m off out with Big Bertha now to annoy the Cuckoos.

Have fun.

22 comments:

  1. Thats a wonderful part of the world! I remember having rather wet feet after a few days walking!

    Cheers

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it here. It is a bit damp though.

      Delete
  2. If it's close by you might want to try sunrise/sunset for the bothy, apparently it can look stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, It is only a hop skip and jump down the track.

      That Gaz gets the good weather. I would like either a sunrise or sunset. The shot Gaz took is a sunset. Not heard anything from his dad since he got back. I presume he is okay.

      I'm just installing software on the new machine and it's a slow job with Highlands Thinband.

      Delete
  3. Stunning images, I really like the number two and three because of the suns poking through on number two and the rays of sun streaming through onto the mountains.
    As for maps, I was pondering wether the O.S. do an online/downloadable service? If not they should, have you tried a local petrol station if they haven't they may know someone who does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Douglas, they do but I only have the big photoprinter and can't be arsed dragging it out for a map.

      The nearest shop is Glencoe about eight miles down the way. Fuel stations can be awkward up this way I'm midway between two, both are twenty or thirty miles away. I keep topped up with diesel. I was anticipating the Glencoe Mountain resort having maps but it isn't that sort of place....not sure what sort of place it is. It has a chair lift or two but they look about as fast as their WI-FI. I'm here for the views not the campsite.

      Delete
  4. HI Adrian...I don't care what the place is I just see a magnificent sight!! Those first three are breathe taking shot's, and the little white washed building shot was worth the wait!!
    May a Golden Eagle land on your van : )
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace. If an Eagle landed on the van I'd have misplaced the cameras.
      I have just about got the new laptop up and running and these images look very bright on it. I'll have to have a look on a few other screens.

      Delete
  5. Those sky shots with the sunlight shafting through, are out of the top drawer.


    peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. There was a fair bit of rain shafting me after the second one.

      Delete
  6. het is wel een prachtige omgeving en een paar shots van koekoeken is nooit weg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ik kon Nic de Cuckoo's niet vinden. Ik liep rond voor een uur toen stopte ze cuckooing ..... kleine duivels

      Delete
  7. The stitching is really worked, fave Adrian. And what about the cottage, it's beautiful, I could live there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, the cottage has great views and a wonderful position but you would be buried in tourists for eight months of the year.

      Delete
  8. I keep saying what a beautiful area you are in. I'm amazed at the beauty. It reminds me of the Arctic where it was usually quite boggy and barren. snow on the mountains indicates some altitude as well. Walking's pretty difficult though thus stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red id you look on Google maps Rannoch more is a triangular area of about fifty square miles. The altitude is a thousand feet. the mountains are between 2,500' and 4000' so it is not as big as it looks.
      Walking is hard going but then I don't walk far.

      Delete
    2. Just the same these mountains are majestic.

      Delete
    3. Yes they are everything is in proportion.

      Delete
  9. Nice crepuscular rays on all of these.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maria, that's what I thought but didn't dare risk spelling the posh word for sunbeams.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the sunlight particularly that wonderful landscape shot with the hill contours. Seems difficult to believe that you had to start queueing at 7:30 am for an image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit surprised. An early morning Dutchman and a motorcycle club comprised the queue.

      Delete