ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Wednesday 9 March 2011

TRYING TO BE GOOD (08/03/11)

I set out first thing this morning with every intention of getting some wonderful shots of Barnacle Geese. These are similar to Canada Geese but smaller and not as noisy. So quiet were they that I never heard them coming. It was a murky start to the day so not enough light for my long lens anyway.

I returned to Patterdale Hall and changed lenses……..it’s not far to walk which is just as well because my Achilles tendon is giving me serious gyp. What with that in one leg and a corn on the little toe of my other foot I’m getting fed up. I’m am also getting old.

Off out again it is still far from bright…………I really did want to shoot with minimum processing, as is usual with me, the want has differed substantially from the reality.

_3082191_2_3_4_5_tonemapped_edited-1    Patterdale Hall, we are parked in the grounds.   

_3082196_197_198_199_200_tonemapped_edited-1The Mews. We are coming back next week to take some shots of the Tower Clock itself. It is broken at the moment and It would be better were it to remain so for a few days as it will be an exposure blending job…………..I don’t want moving bits if at all possible.

_3082251_2_3_4_5_tonemapped_edited-1   The geese went thataway into the murk shrouding the Kirkstone Pass.

_3082246_47_48_49_50_tonemapped_edited-1  Glenridding….the paper shop is there. No I can’t finish the crossword, six left today. I’ll be a special needs case before long. Is one allowed to be thick at sixty one?

_3082236_37_38_39_40_tonemapped_edited-1  Ullswater in glorious HDR………….the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

_3082226_27_28_29_30_tonemapped_edited-1

_3082206_07_08_09_10_tonemapped_edited-1  These were all taken from the same area…………A very windy morning but the water has been smoothed by leaving the ‘Correct for moving objects’ unchecked in the Photomatix software. Anyone out there who is having strange colour cast problems then if you open RAW images in Photoshop and set the Blacks to zero and pick a colour temperature, for all images then it solves the problem. These strange colours ,sad to say, are intentional.

Back to normal.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAWell almost normal……..the War memorial next to St Patrick’s Well just outside Glenridding…………….Patterdale was once known as Patrick’s Dale. Maybe a bit before my time……………..At least I hope so.

All photos will enlarge. That’s all have fun.

Post Script. I enjoy cryptic crosswords when I get a paper. It’s odd but engineers tend to be better than linguists. So for a bit of fun I’ll start giving the first clue I get from The Daily Telegraph cryptic crossword, answers will appear on the next post. Here is the first.

It was clue twelve today……..Fat American woman shown up in car headlight?                    (5,2,3,4).

Winners, their blog gets a mention here.

7 comments:

  1. The colour popping worked well on the war memorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw Adrian. Did you have to introduce cryptic clues into the equation? Isn't life hard enough?

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, it is effective some times. Thanks.

    Graham, don't worry I can't see it lasting long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent set again Adrian.

    I'm rubbish at cryptic stuff; well, most stuff, but I think the middle 2 words are 'in the'
    Do I get half a mention if I'm right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keith, you underestimate yourself. You can do video without turning the camera sideways. I'll give you a mention next post. You are right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning photos Adrian! What a beautiful spot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gwen. One of my favourite places the Lake district is superb out of season.

    ReplyDelete