ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Tuesday 15 September 2015

BERRIES. (15/09/15)

I really like this picture of berries. Whether I will deem it anything special tomorrow I doubt.berries
No idea what they are and I have mislaid my book on trees and shrubs. They don’t look edible as birds, squirrels and deer have ignored them. Thanks to MARGARET I now know this is St John's Wort. Very efficacious for when one is feeling a bit blue.
hogw
Hogweed seeds.
leaves
Autumn Leaves.
sickner
The Sickener.
16574-0007
This is one frame out of two rolls of 120 HP5. Two years ago I spent ages shooting them picking scenes with high contrast. Metering was either incident or guess. Somewhere I have equivalents shot with the Canon 1Ds III. My secretary or personal assistant has mislaid them, I’ll pop her on a bread and water diet. When I shoot film I usually expose for the shadows. It is the opposite to digital but film is much more tolerant. These are a low resolution JPEG scan of about 5MB A posh drum scan would be getting on for 1GB. 5MB is overkill for the internet a tenth of it does fine.  Now I am trying to get competent so am writing down what I shoot and what I shot it at. A pound to a penny my PA loses the piece of paper.

27 comments:

  1. Looks like being a bumper berry crop all round this year.
    Funny, the final photo seems to have some colour in it. To me the fields look to be very slightly green, maybe my brain playing ricks trying to rationalise it.
    I do like the hogweed shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I'm picking loads of blackberries on or wanders. I love free food.
      It is B&W but has moire patterns in the sky. It is a cheap scan. it costs £9.60 a roll for process and scan at this resolution, they are good enough but I am thinking of getting an Epson or Canon film scanner. They are a couple of hundred pounds. I'll see how I go on with this film malarkey and maybe chop some digital gear in to finance the job.

      Delete
  2. Those berries look familiar, but the leaves don't...I think my favourite berries are spindleberries. Not that common nowadays, but there are some where we ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances, they are forming a mat on the floor of conifer forest. I will start trawling the internet for them. It seems everything I find involves crawling around in wet leaves.

      Delete
  3. Love your first shot of the berries! And I really like your B & W image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, I will try and identify them.

      Delete
  4. The first plant is Hypericom also known as St John's Wort. There are 490 species of it so take your pick!! ove the fungi shot Adrian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the ID Margaret. I'll take some more snaps of it then pick some to steep in gin for those days when I feel a bit blue. I walk past it once or twice a week and never noticed it flowering....must be going blind.

      Delete
  5. Love your digital shots this time! The second is my fave! I vote for the Worts-in-Gin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe it's me, but the b&w shot appears to be better quality then digital. I would've loved to see the same scene in digital for comparison....sack your pa and get on a new one on a zero hour contract, works for greedy multinationals :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Douglas, I'll go out tomorrow with the Canon and the Bronica. I'll snap the same thing with Velvia 100, HP5 400 and digital. I'll meter the canon with the incident meter so as to try and get a comparison. I'll see how much they want for a high res scan. It could be quite a lot.
      I have thought that the quality of the old lenses and the dynamic range of film does give it the edge. Mainly I just like using the old equipment. It's fun but heavy fun.
      I think the PA bit of my brain has gone on strike.

      Delete
  7. Adriaan what a lovely autumn atmosphere lets you see here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bas, it's not too bad so far. a bit wet but I am still seeing the sun.

      Delete
  8. Nice variety of photos today. Just think, we pay big bucks for St. John's Wort and you go out in the bush and find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, I did find it but didn't know what I'd found.

      Delete
  9. Great series. The first three photos are my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is that hogweed perhaps what we call Queen Anne's Lace? We have a Giant Hogweed that is poisonous although i have never seen it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, queen Anne's Lace is wild carrot and Hogweed is wild parsnip. Giant Hogweed is dangerous and massive much taller than I am. We have them all here.

      Delete
  11. Buena serie. Con el hypericon se hace un líquido que es bueno para cicatrizar heridas.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, usas los beries o las hojas? Voy a mirar para arriba en Google.

      Delete
    2. Con las flores Adrian, yo no lo hago , lo hace un vecino, Hay que dejarlo macerar no sé cuanto tiempo. búscalo ;)

      Delete
  12. Ah those were the days: red and yellow filters galore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, I'll have to look through the coloured filters as I have dozens. I only use the pinkish one...Sky filter and polarisers. The latter I use a lot.

      Delete