ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Sunday 20 September 2015

WHOOPS. (20/09/15)

I spent most of yesterday taking pictures of the new grain drying system and the old combine. Harvesting is on hold at the moment as the engine has seized solid in the combine. I feel a bit sad as it was a wonderful piece of equipment. Ken feels worse as he is away to buy a new combine...A new secondhand one.

 The trailer with the holes in the back is the grain drier.

Fill it up with barley
And reverse it up to the drier fan.


Like this

     

The engine warms the air and the fan blows warm air through the grain it works a treat.



I managed to get about an hours worth of combine video before it succumbed and here is a little bit of it. I have been trying to get a title style I like. I am having trouble with this as you will see. What I want is a banner a bit like the Fox News one with the video title scrolling under my name. It would be more fun to use Fox News headlines.......Corbyn Eats Babies, Trump is a Genious (sic) etc but I will try and be sensible. It all works fine but the mask is causing problems. I have adjusted it a dozen times but it always shows black. Any ideas will be gratefully received.
Screen Grab
This video is far from complete, it has the worst chopped out and lots I've shot not included. No sound, no commentary but all that will come later when I will try and video the whole process. This is what the pros call rushes and I call laziness. You will see what I mean about the title. There must be someone out there that edits video and can save me spending hours puzzling it out for myself.





21 comments:

  1. Shame about the old faithful but it eventually happens to us all. The rush is looking good. Of course I can't help you at all never having done anything other than the simplest of titles. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, it is. It will be worth rebuilding the engine.
      No worries I'll look on the internet and sort something out.

      Delete
  2. I think you were living the agrarian vicariously...and loving it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the video clip but I would have loved to hear the sound of the harvester Adrian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, the sound editor is a Wee Free and won't work Sundays. I'll kick his arse in the morning and get some sound sorted.

      Delete
  4. Losing a member of the family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful bit of equipment that combine is. I'm hoping the replacement will be similar vintage it'd be a shame if the replacement is ultra modern. Was it the slope of the field & oil issue (supply of) that caused the failure? I liked and chuckled at the end of the farmer shaking down his seat covers.
    p.s. Why's it called 'Clink'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Douglas, I have yet to see the replacement.
      I don't know as I had left to walk home when it seized. It had plenty of oil in just before lunch as I checked it. It has combined much steeper slopes than this field. This is the flat field.
      That was funny when the grain bin overflowed.
      It's named after Clink forest and I haven't a clue what the forest is named after.

      Delete
  6. When Ken has finished his grieving he will be happy to have those photographic memories. In time he might come to appreciate a later model driver's seat. Look forward to the video with sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline, He'll appreciate a cab and hydraulic seat not to mention a discharge auger that folds in. I'll save the video clips and sound and put it all together with a bit of baling and grain drying.

      Delete
  7. Interesting post and video. Take care when you adjust grain but meantime the rotating head was not stopped! It's a little bit danger, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kovacs, standing on the machine with a video camera is dangerous. You just have to be careful around machines.

      Delete
  8. An old farm kid like me never tires of watching harvesting. I enjoyed the video and like my Dad he let the hopper overflow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, it's a version of an auto bin level warning. The grain starts running down you neck when it's full.

      Delete
  9. A delightful video, Adrian. So sad to see a great bit of kit like this consigned to the scrap heap. Ken's driving skills suggest that he and the combine had been together for some time! Delighted to see that I can eat my porridge with confidence as the stuff that had been in contact with Ken's backside didn't get fed back into the bin! I guess now you're going to tell me that it wasn't oats being harvested.

    That Lister drying fan looks as if it did well to outlast the combine!

    All in all, a great bit of documentation!

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard, I am still working on the video. I will try and get another three or four hours of footage and then make three five minute videos. I have about twenty minutes of drivers eye view but it need stabilising and I am really struggling in Blender.
      It's barley, it could be mistaken for Rye but oats are really straggly things.
      It took me half an hour to start the fan this morning. I decompress two cylinders and as soon as it fires drop the decompressors. This morning it wouldn't have it so it got a squirt of eezystart. I love the smell.
      I also have loads of sound to edit and synchronise. I ought to go on a course as I feel I'm reinventing the wheel.

      Delete
  10. Not sure about the title thing. Wish I could help off the bat, but I can't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I've now got it a lot better. I am still getting a bit of bleed through the mask at the far left hand side but I doubt anyone will notice. It's annoying as I can't see why. The mask isn't feathered and is 100% black. The wonders of digital.

      Delete