ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Wednesday 16 September 2015

TREASURE. (16/09/15)

Yesterday whilst rooting around looking for a big fan to go in the grain drier I came across a treasure chest.

_V0G0013

_V0G0012

I carried it out and popped it on a table. Opened it up and low and behold there was a full set of Polo equipment *. Mallets, balls but the pony was missing. It does have the big metal staples for tying my spare pony to. There are lots of Highland ponies just over the road so I’ll give Charles a ring and see if he would like a game on the slopes of Glassart Glen. It would be a right royal occasion. How many ponies do you need for a game of Polo? I guess a dozen would be fine. The equipment isn’t in the first flush of youth but then neither am I and Charlie is older still.

_V0G0010

_V0G0011

Does anyone read the Daily Express? If you caught Sundays early edition you may have seen this headline. If they can do this on a regular basis I may start taking it.

h-DAILY-EXPRESS-HEADLINE-FAIL-2048x1144

How can children learn to spell when a national paper can’t spell appearance. I don’t know whether they printed a picture but I wouldn’t be surprised considering both Richard Desmond’s publishing history and Kate’s propensity for flashing her bits and pieces.

*  I think Graham may have the impression that this is a Croquet set. He could be right.

28 comments:

  1. Great old pirate treasure type chest. Any excuse to get the rum bottle out.
    I must admit my first thought was croquet. Less tiring on the posterior.
    Many moons ago my old man was a sub editor with the job of proof reading copy.
    I don't think they bother these days. Probably just use a speel chucker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, it is croquet but what it's doing here I don't know.
      I'm glad that they don't proof read. It's a wonderful headline.

      Delete
  2. I hope the pubic experiance was sucksessful

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would apeer that Kate has found her risque side, maybe you should invite her up for a visit...you could show her your large chest, and you never know, she might even play with your big balls?...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trevor, I don't really fancy her but I wouldn't mind a percentage of her state benefits.

      Delete
  4. Doesn't the Express have a spell check? But mention of two,royals in one post.....I thin you're a closet royalist after all, Adrian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances, It doesn't look like it but I suspect it was someone seeing what he could get away with.
      I don't know any royals but I would rather do without the institution.

      Delete
  5. That trunk looks like it has seen better days! How fun to find it though. Now you will have to post photos of someone using it to play polo. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, it is a croquet set. Croquet is from the French croque to crunch.

      Delete
  6. What is the peeling cover on the chest, leather ? great find.

    peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter it's a funny sort of thick oil cloth stuff.

      Delete
  7. Now your treasure chest was interesting. I can't help but see how the chest is in shreds and barely hanging together. There must be story as to why it was left to decay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, I suspect that it was regarded as junk. Non of it looks to have been quality to start with.

      Delete
  8. Always fun to look inside dusty old things... But even the pictures made me sneeze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, I was hoping to find a big spider or two.

      Delete
  9. That's a croquet set Adrian lol, but quite a find personally I wouldn't use it looks quite valuable. As for political each team has four horses and riders, however the game goes on for an hour and half so they have spare horses too.
    Funny how the paper gets the spelling wrong in the headline but correct in the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Political=polo, I've been reading the Daily Express

      Delete
    2. Douglas, only four. I was thinking at least seven. Probably hard to find fourteen folks with enough spare cash.
      You are the first person I've not met that reads the Express.

      Delete
  10. Wow, what a beautiful treasure. Maybe it was used in Pirates of the Caribbean :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kovacs, the Pirates of the Swamp possibly.

      Delete
  11. Si que te has encontrado un tesoro, eso e muy antiguo!!
    Buena noche Adrian ;)
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That IS a treasure chest! Kate didn't seem the pubic display type!


    ALOHA
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^=








    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cloudia, it is indeed.
      I don't really follow the doings of our royals so I don't know.

      Delete
  13. Yes it's a croquet set. A very old one as well. Can you tell what the balls are made of? Polo mallets are rather different. Mind you I wouldn't like to try and win the Scottish GC Open with one of those balls or mallets.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't realise the Express was still going. Does Beachcomber still write for it? Does Giles still do the cartoons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, I'll go and have a look. They aren't very heavy.
      No idea about the Express. Someone sent me the cutting.

      Delete