ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Sunday 12 October 2014

DROPS and DRIPS. (12/10/14)

Another very foggy morning and cold, barely above freezing. Today I have more water droplets but tomorrow I’m going to Borrodale in the Lake District. I’m hoping for some good landscapes. Time will tell if my hopes are justified.

_V0G7541     This isn’t a drip or a drop. It’s a very wet Live Oak acorn. These don’t look like an oak tree but apparently they are and are evergreen. I think they are native to North America.

I didn’t notice at the time but it appears to have collected a bit of tarmac. Not much round here hasn’t even my tripod and camera got a quick dose of the binder spray. The bloody stuff is everywhere. I have managed to clean most of it off. It’s fortuitous that I have settled on manual Canon FD lenses for time lapse. They are a bit soft with the adaptor but I can set the camera to aperture priority and it does solve most of the flicker. They are also cheap as chips so it’s not the end of the world if I or careless tarmackers trash one.

Back to drops.

_V0G7539      I am trying to think of something novel to do with these webs but before I do I will have to stop using the macro ring strobe. I find it interesting but distracting to see the reflections of the strobe tubes. I had a good bit of extension tube on the lens and I now see reflection from both the front and back of the droplets. The reason the little arcs are different is because I set the strobe to 1/4 power on the left. It gives contrast to non-reflective and refractive subjects. I will try using an off camera strobe on a light stand and pop a soft box on it. Not today because today is a Grand Prix day.

On to Drips.

_V0G7537

_V0G7529      I haven’t a clue what these berries are. They are on a little sapling but it has shed it’s leaves so I have no chance of finding out. There is a tree man visits here to plant trees but he is not due back for a while. I have popped a bit of plastic bag round it to remind me to ask him.

That’s all for today. Have a great week.

33 comments:

  1. Well this time the berry shots are too close for me to ID but interesting shots. The web shot looks like metal and I prefer it further away like yesterday's shots. Great first shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I have several shots from different distances. Half are out of focus as is the norm with me.

      Delete
  2. Has anyone told you that you are pedantic about problems with your shots. Enjoy the Grand Prix and just leave the little refractive and reflective devils be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, no. Folk do say. "I'm up my own arse." I guess that it is much the same.

      Delete
  3. Adriaan what a beautiful acorn drops and you should be there too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bas, It has been very foggy for a couple of mornings, ideal for drops.

      Delete
  4. These are amazing Adrian! Looking forward to those landscapes. I hope you'll luck out with the weather. (But I also like moody fall landscapes).

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mersad, thanks. I'll get some pictures whatever the weather. I hope that I'm not too late for some autumn colours.

      Delete
  5. Some superb stuff here.
    Hmm ... Borrowdale is also on my mind today. A friend asked me recently for a radical idea for a group of people to do a challenge that would inspire maximum sponsorship money. After giving my idea of a specific mountain walk in the spring / autumn, they've not heeded a lot of my key advice and I found out today that they are going to do the walk in two weeks time. It's not something that I've considered doing before in late October. Looking forward to your landscapes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay, you have a good walk around the Lake. I am hoping for some good early or late light.

      Delete
  6. All very clever and technical, Adrian, but I love the pink berry, reflections and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances, it's not very clever. The camera is. The berries are less than 1/4" diameter but do look good as close ups.

      Delete
  7. I actually like the reflection from the strobe, it kind of reminds me of those plastic suction cups, if that makes sense.
    I thought the GP was dull today. The only satisfaction was watching Putin squirm during the German national anthem :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Douglas, I would prefer the reflections not to show but I need the strobe to shoot this close hand held.
      I agree the GP was not one of the best. I was watching on i-Player so didn't bother with anything after the flag.

      Delete
  8. That 2nd photo is the one for me, i dont mind the stobe reflection, i think it adds to it.

    peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter, I am thinking that some coloured wrapping paper behind the web would liven the job up a bit.

      Delete
  9. I was admiring the big droplets when you spoiled it by saying they were reflections of tubes!!! Oh well the rest of the droplets made an awesome pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't even know what a strobe is but you've managed some interesting effects. (I looked it up and still don't know. I'll keep to my auto-settings...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monica, a strobe is the same as a flash tube.

      Delete
  11. Interesting. I ran some of your explanation through a translator and it said 'unable to translate'...so I'll just say, oh. That's nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I accepted a long time ago I don't need to understand what you are talking about to appreciate your photos. I think the berry drips are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline, they are the best drips I've ever managed.

      Delete
  13. Beautiful macro Adrian, you can't beat 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Adrain!! Your foto are always amazing! I love the colors and the mood, all!
    Autumn give us wonderful colors isn't?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, it is the time of year I like the best.

      Delete
  15. I loved the second picture - like futuristic wallpaper but the last two photos looked like the close-up work of a gynaecologist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, there must be something I can use the webs for. I'm thinking.
      I really haven't your in depth knowledge so can't confirm what the berries look like.

      Delete
  16. An intriguing selection today. You could just call your strobe/lens reflections art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, I wish I could but there are too many pedants out there who know exactly what they are. I could use a tripod but tripods are far from ideal for macro.

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. Maria, I will have to try them without the strobe. the reflections are distracting.

      Delete