ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Sunday 19 October 2014

WHAT TIME IS IT? (19/10/14)

The weather is wet and windy. It’s very warm at 15o C. I didn’t take the camera out yesterday but decided to risk it this morning for what could well be the last of the golden leaves. The wind is whipping them from the trees at an alarming rate and there is another big low pressure system coming in tonight and through Monday.

Tuesday or Wednesday I’m hoping for some long exposures of waterfalls I just hope the wind dies down as otherwise I’ll have smoky water and smoky leaves.

_MG_0687       Dead Leaves on Derwentwater.

_MG_0686        Lodore Falls Hotel.

_MG_0684

_MG_0682

_MG_0680       I love the top end of Derwentwater. A quick dog walk provides lots of views and I’m only wet for an hour.

I woke at around three this morning but until I fired up the computer I couldn’t tell, daft as within the van I have a phone that tells the time, a weather station that has a clock and a microwave that is also so equipped. There is a clock on the dashboard and one above the door so why do I feel bereft without a watch? None are set to the correct time; thats’ why.

_V0G7545       The watch is dead, it needs a new battery. It requires a rechargeable battery which isn’t a problem the batteries are about £12.00p, fitting them is around £80.00p. I have done the job myself on my sons watch but it is a task fraught with danger. Inside there are three layers of metal and plastic protection, not a problem but for some reason there are four really tiny springs. The watch doesn’t work without them but why I haven’t a clue. This watch is eight or nine years old, I treated it to a new strap last year and was hoping it would see me out. Fitting the £16.00p strap was an hours job.  I have asked for a quotation from a firm near Preston; if they require more than sixty pounds I’ll get a new cheap version of this. The equivalent thing new is about £250.00p on E-Bay or Amazon. Too much for a watch for me these days.

Have a great week.

I have just received a reply and on a Sunday. This looks a cracking company.

Good afternoon Adrian,

Thank you for contacting Watch Repair UK. We can certainly help with your Casio. A replacement Swiss battery for this model is £44.95. Included in this service is the following:-

-Replacement Swiss seals and gaskets

-Pressure test to ensure water resistance

-Ultrasonic clean

-2 Year battery guarantee

-Free fully insured shipment back to you

-5 Day turnaround

I’ll go with this. Not sure that the battery will be Swiss nor that the seals will. The seal is a bit of flat condom. Do the Swiss produce condoms? Life can be fun.

33 comments:

  1. I don't wear a watch ~ haven't done for probably 20+ years. I couldn't imagine wearing one again. Just have no need for one. So many other ways to tell the time with digital devices always at hand. Mind you if I went bush and had nothing to charge those? digital devices ~ but then would I really want to know the time? And am I likely to go bush with out electricity? The closest I have been is after a cyclone without electricity for 3 days, but even then there wasn't a need for time keeping. Maybe it is just that Far North Queensland feeling. Even further north in the Torres Straits they refer to Island time. Things happen when they happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, that's a relief I was thinking of donating a ladies Tag Huer.
    Watches can be hard to work. The little finger shows the hours, the middle finger the minutes and the big one seconds. They do them like this in digital. How do you go on with an iPad diving? Bottom time is important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adriaan it is a very nice watch and z.on new battery worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the atmosphere in the shots. Can't believe you are already loosing the golden leaves.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mersad, it's the wind and rain. It's four years since it was this good. I use curves and medium contrast to push the colour.

      Delete
  5. A great place to photograph, so many opportunities, look forward to the waterfalls Adrian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been lucky with the weather this year. I got four fine days out of seven so far.

      Delete
  6. Same kind of autumn weather here. I was surprised when I went out for my first walk today how warm it felt outside, I had not expected that! I have a simple (ratther cheap) analog watch, I only wear a watch when I go out as at home I have some kind of wall or table clock in every room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monica, it doesn't feel right. It's too warm.

      Delete
  7. If autumn didn't lead on to winter, I think it would be one of my favourite times of year. You capture it beautifully.

    But....I'm staggered at what you have to spend on a watch battery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances, the batteries are cheap it's fitting them that costs the money.

      Delete
  8. Love all the shots - very muted. I don't wear a watch now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I don't feel dressed without a watch.

      Delete
    2. Funny I feel more liberated and free without one.

      Delete
  9. I cant stand it if i have no watch on but i dont spend much on getting one, £14 from Argos. Good luck with the water falls.

    peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter, I am loath to dump this watch but a cheap quartz one would be sensible.

      Delete
  10. I don't know whether the Swiss produce condoms, but if they are anything like Swiss cheese, I'd advise you not to use one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, the chance to use one would be a fine thing.

      Delete
  11. You my not be able to get photos of your fall colors but at least you have leaves. Ours are long gone. Watches? I haven't worn one since I retired in 1997. I have one in a drawer. I'm not sure if it still runs or not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, I suspect the next few days will see us with bare trees.

      Delete
  12. 5 day turnaround? Don't bother with a watch, use the one on my phone. Lovely set of images I hope you get the waterfall images. I like the last one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Douglas, I don't really know why I bother with one. Just habit I guess.

      Delete
  13. Your pictures would make wonderful landscape paintings Adrian!! Cool watch :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruby, thanks. I have trouble painting a door.

      Delete
  14. Es tiempo de otoño y está muy lluvioso!!
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The first time I ate quail was at the Lodore Swiss Hotel (as it was called in 1970). It cost me £20 recently to have a heavy duty battery put in a dress watch (which I never wear) recently so I think your quote is pretty darn good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, I was happy. the postage will be at least £5.00p and the batteries are between £12 and £16, I once took one apart and was at it for hours.

      Delete
  16. You made a great job of the average weather. I never understand what all the dials and numbers do on a casio watch, makes it look technical though !!

    ReplyDelete