ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Wednesday 29 October 2014

RUMBLING BRIDGE. (29/10/14)

I’m back in Moffat. Yesterday I braved the A701 in torrential rain and had half a day in Kinross. I got my photo prints from Peak Imaging and a wonderful job they have made of them. I thought some other bugger had snapped them. They are printed on Fuji gloss photo paper, bonded to 3mm foam board and have a clear acrylic film laminate bonded over the top.

I’m thrilled to bits with them and will now use them as my primary printer for ever and ever amen. Their prints are not laser or inkjet but a cunning system which converts a digital image to a negative then exposes it to archival photopaper. They are guaranteed not to rust, bust, pick up dust nor buckle and never bend for a very long time. I printed at 300mm x 240mm with a 200mm white border and they work out at £40.00p a go. Not cheap but excellent value.

I find it daunting getting film or prints back. I have to have a swift dose of campanology before I dare open the parcel. The printers at Peak Imaging are good and do use their eyes. I resized an image once and forgot to adjust levels. He phoned up to ask if it should really be darkish. He even adjusted it for me when I said it just wants the white slider pulling in until it just clips a smidgen. Saved me e-mailing another monster file. Great I’m like a dog with two tails. They aren’t perfect but then I hate looking at my own work. I showed them to a half dozen folk in the evening. My sister said could do better, my brother-in-law said crap. I did sell one. I’ll have to get another printed now as the one I sold was a Christmas present.

We took the dogs, all four. Alf, Moll, Zoe and Rosa down to Rumbling Bridge Gorge in the afternoon. The rain had stopped and it was a grand little wander.

_MG_0738      The river Devon just upstream of the gorge. It is in spate but not too seriously.

_MG_0739                  It gradually narrows from a hundred or so feet wide to about six feet wide.

_MG_0740    Narrower and narrower and faster and faster it goes.

_MG_0741

_MG_0742

_MG_0746           Until it all spews through a gap about six feet wide and lord knows how deep. It then arrives at the triple bridge.

_MG_0744            They have built some wonderful observation platforms here but they were fenced off. Below the old bridge there is a slab of stone, it’s a hundred feet below and that was the third bridge. Downstream there is a cracking set of falls but they are difficult to get at.

I took these as snaps as I was walking in company. I’d like to get down into the thick of this place with a tripod and the works but it will be a three or four person climbing expedition. I’ll look which way the light falls in winter and try and set up for some video, sound and stills over a two or three day snapping session.

If you fancy using Peak imaging then give them a ring first as if you use their Pro service they don’t sharpen or colour correct.  You have to do that which means you must have a posh monitor and a Spyder to calibrate it. I like them as I can just write on a roll of film 1 STOP UNDER. I don’t know what they do but they come back middling perfect. I only developed film as a teenager in my parents bathroom. I thought it was my bathroom. Constant banging on the door with cries of I’m getting desperate from my younger siblings. Little wonder I had mixed results, bloody horrors are children.

Have fun.

53 comments:

  1. You sold my Christmas present Adrian? Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Great arches. And you have to love family don't you ~ our biggest supporters and will always keep us grounded.

      Delete
    2. Carol, if I'm selling they are expensive. I charge £200.00p for my prints. You had a screen saver for nowt. What have I had. Not a sniff or a cuddle is what.

      Delete
  2. The Devon gorge picture is fabulous. I would love to see your collection and buy some prints too :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruby, you have been there. If I get any good ones then you can have the files for free.
      I do not really like charging for work as so many programmers just give me stuff. If any pictures appeal to you then just ask for a full resolution one and let me me know what file to attach. Tiff is normal.

      Delete
    2. Ooohhh!! Thanks Adrian!! I will browse through your posts and let you know!! I have downloaded several of your pics already ;)))

      Delete
  3. here was raining a lot and the littles river are like that.. beautiful pics Adrian as ever

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful river, it makes me wonder about the Dipper, was there any?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, I often walk stretches of the river Devon and it seems a pretty sterile place.

      Delete
  5. Rumbling Bridge - a real blast from the past for me. I holidayed at The Rumbling Bridge Hotel for 8 years on the trot some years ago.The hotel grounds went right down to the Gorge. It was a beautiful old building but sadly the last I heard it had been converted into a nursing home. Shame! Your pictures were just beautiful - thank you for the wonderful memories they brought back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, there are two Rumbling Bridges. This one and another at Dunkeld. I'm trying to think where the hotel could be.

      Delete
    2. David says that the Rumbling Bridge Hotel at Rumbling Bridge was turned into a Nursing Home. The picture of the Bridge and especially the wooden fenced walkway seem familiar. There must only be one Nursing Home in Rumbling Bridge - such a small place - the Hotel in those days was quite small but had the most beautiful landscaped gardens to the rear that went right down to the water.The noise of the water was really "rumbling". It would be amazing if, on driving though, you spotted it. I can remember the owners name in those days too - Jimmy King. How is that for a memory..

      Delete
    3. Pat, I'll have a look for it next month when I return. I'll take it's picture if I see it.

      Delete
  6. What's this Adrian, are you turning the van into a photo gallery? When's the opening night, I'm looking forward to being greeted by the young lady with the complementary class of bubbles when I arrive?

    Great set of 'snaps' of the rushing water.

    Do those piggyback bridges mean that at some stage the level of the roads/tracks on either side has been dramatically raised...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trevor no gallery and no fizz.
      I'll have to go back for some pictures as I can't spend the time required when on a social walk.
      Yes the lower one used to have a steep drop down to it. They were built a hundred years apart. 1713 and 1816.

      Delete
  7. If there's one thing I have learnt is never ask a a girlfriend/family member/in laws for an opinion, always helpful. I like the bridge and also couldn't help thinking Dipper and Kingfisher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Douglas they just take the piss.
      It is flowing too fast here for either. I have tried to estimate the depth and think it must be a good twenty or thirty feet deep.

      Delete
  8. Oh what a beautiful spot. These are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary, it's a good circular walk and only takes an hour.

      Delete
  9. These are amazing photos; even better on my PC. If I come up with my tiny and incomprehensible (to me) digital camera, will you give me lessons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances, Yes. Cameras are easy to work.

      Delete
  10. That's an amazing multi tier bridge, very posh compared to the bridges in this area. Love the photos of the tumbling stream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline as far as I know it is unique. I have never seen another.

      Delete
  11. Interesting shots of the river as it rumbles along. That's an amazing bridge and I'm wondering how old it might be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, the lower bridge was built in 1713 and the higher one in 1816.

      Delete
  12. Looking at the photos I thought you'd managed a long day out from Moffat to Devil's Bridge in Wales. That would have given you three actual bridges and a steam railway to photograph.

    Congrats on selling a photo. I managed to sell two more models recently but the sum total of profit was $3.79 so not quite in the same league!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, I have never been to Devils Bridge. I had it ticked for last autumn but ran out of time.
      I usually swap pictures for free camping. So you are probably doing better than I am.

      Delete
  13. Glad you are pleased with your print. I though you shot you took on your walk were great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, it is an impressive little gorge.

      Delete
  14. I like the first two best of this bunch Adrian; and what an interesting bridge.

    Extravagant Christmas presents. My lot get a 7X5 in an envelope from Boots.
    Interested to know what pictures you had printed. You'll have to do a post featuring them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, I think I must have had a funny turn. I don't usually act in such an extravagant manner.
      It would be better without all the trees but it is a good bridge.

      Delete
  15. Racking my brains and failing to remember the name of a waterfall / gorge I visited in Scotland a few years ago. One of the people I was with got very fraught when we had to cross a slightly swaying bridge. I insisted it must be safe or the National Trust wouldn't allow us across. A while later they shut is off - unsafe. (I think it's mended now. If only I could remember where . . . very north and on the west.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy, I can't think where it could be. There is a new bridge in Glencoe and another one at Smoo Cave.

      Delete
  16. Found it - Falls of Measach - part of Corrieshalloch Gorge - http://www.visitwester-ross.com/corrieshalloch-gorge.asp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy, I have driven past many times. Next time I will stop and take a snap or two. Thank you.

      Delete
  17. Sounds like you've found a great company there. That triple bridge reminds me a lot of Devil's Bridge above Aberystwyth. Worth checking out if you've never been before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adam, I use them for film processing but this is the first time for prints. It won't be the last. I have Devils Bridge on my list, thanks.

      Delete
  18. I used to shoot on film and had a great developer here as well. But those days are gone now. I do use their professional printing services though. Love your nature outing, and the river stream. Of course the bridge is a highlight. Did you, by any chance, manage to get a wide shot of it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mersad, No, I only had a 50mm lens with me. I'll call back and do the job properly when the leaves are off the trees. Somewhere I have a vertical panorama of it but I haven't a clue where.

      Delete
    2. To the rescue comes the excellent search functionality added to this blog :)

      That is of course assuming you were thinking of the vertical stitched image in this post from 2012.

      Delete
    3. Mark, I'd forgotten Postvorta, shame on me. The search engine is better than the picture.
      I really should use it more.

      Delete
  19. Looks like a place revisiting at leisure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I have been a few times but never done it justice.

      Delete
  20. Replies
    1. Maria, just shot on the fly the place deserves more attention.

      Delete
  21. I could not bear to live far from water. I have the sea close by but had I not then the sound of running water in a river would be bliss (providing I wasn't likely to get flooded!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, couldn't agree more. I have never been happier than I was in the south Atlantic.

      Delete