ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Sunday 12 April 2015

A RARE BIRD. (12/04/15)

I have had a quiet morning. I found a beetle but it wasn’t very big and it insisted on lying on it’s back even when I had given it half an hour to warm up after a very cool, damp night.

_V0G7937

_V0G7940

_V0G7942

_V0G7944 I suspect this is Pterostichus madidus. I thought at first it was a Click beetle but if they end up on their backs they jump in the air. I don’t know what it has stuck on it’s foot; just a bit of soil I think. It doesn’t look very well, though it was waving it’s legs and antenna around and snapping it’s jaws. I have put it back under the log.

_MG_3204     I suspect this is a mutant Sparrow. The one on the right, the one on the left is a normal one._MG_3203     Here it is again, whatever it is it’s very pretty.

Enjoy your week.

18 comments:

  1. I think it's a kind of miniature owl with a mutant beak
    As for the beetle, it was moribund, wasn't it? That waving legs thing says it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances, an owlet it can be.
      I suspect the beetle wasn't feeling on top form.

      Delete
  2. Fascinating looking lecustic/semi lecustic Sparrow. The BTO are asking for people to send in images and info on such sightings. I'd like to think the beetle was enjoying itself :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Douglas, I've sent it's picture to the BTO.
      I don't think the beetle was happy.

      Delete
  3. Are you quite sure it's dead. Anyway, the macro works very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, no it was alive. It wouldn't stand up though.

      Delete
  4. Adrian, are you sure the beetle hasn't been enjoying too much of the insect equivalent of that Scottish falling down water...the symptoms look very similar?
    Interesting Sparrow, well spotted...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trevor. I used the MP-E65mm as it was so small. I can't actually switch the strobe tubes right off but can make one an eighth of the duration of the other. It will be interesting to see what results you get. These shut right down at f16 and at 4X I can't get to 5X yet.
      It is a rare little bird. I saw it yesterday in the rain and after half an hour this morning managed to get it twig free. Better than anything at Slumbridge.

      Delete
  5. It looks like a click beetle and maybe they can't flick back on to their feet when they aren't feeling well. The little sparrow is very pretty but it must be at great risk with colouring like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline, it has ridges on it's wing cases so I don't think it is a Click beetle. The sparrow has survived the winter so I hope it manages the summer. It is beautiful.

      Delete
  6. You may like to read:

    http://gardenwalkgardentalk.com/2013/02/14/rare-white-bird-sighting-leucism-in-sparrows/

    Something I'd never heard of until you found one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, thanks for the link. I sent it's picture to BTO. I have never seen one but have seen blackbirds that are albino and crows with a white feather or two.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful photography on your beetle. I've said many times that I like macro photography. Your beetle is certainly a homely fellow, but then if you looked at me very closely I may be quite homely too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, I don't know what was the matter with it. They usually run about all over whilst I try to get them in focus.

      Delete
  8. I think it is a teenage mutant ninja sparrow! Fascinating beetle pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, you could be right but the BTO call them Leviticus Sparrows or something like that.

      Delete