ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Thursday 16 April 2015

CLARIFICATION. (16/04/15)

The van is fast becoming like Noah’s Ark. It is now home to a ground beetle, a ground beetle lava, a weevil, a house spider, two dogs and me. The trouble with the insects is that I’m so busy trying to focus on them that the little devils keep escaping. I expect they will turn up again so not to worry. Todays images are not good. but I am doing my best. I could have improved the spider and the Weevil but the little buggers fled the set. It’s very nice being surrounded by animals.

The problem is focus. I can’t seem to get my head round using live view so I got a prismatic focusing screen for the 1Ds. It took me ages to get used to it but now I wouldn’t use anything else for hand held macro.This morning I saw another of what I thought was a centipede type thing with a few legs missing. Whilst I was rooting in my jacket for the pot it disappeared and despite finding the pot in my trousers pocket and a good furtle about in rotten wood and earth I couldn’t find The little beast again.

I decided to e-mail Dr Gates and thanks Phil for a very quick reply. Phil has several wonderful blogs and is a vast source of knowledge. I just wish I could remember a tenth of the things he has informed me about. His main Blog can be found here at CABINET OF CURIOSITIES.

This is…………………………………….

_V0G7955   The lava of one of these………………………………

_V0G8013     A Common Black Ground Beetle. Tachypodoilus niger. I thought the lava was very mobile for a paraplegic baby insect but having watched the paraplegic games I was quite prepared to accept it had overcome it’s loss. It is supposed to have lots of legs missing as it isn’t a millipede or a centipede or even a symphylid; it’s a lava. Thank you once again Phil.

It was frosty last night and I thought I’d found a dead bumblebee to focus stack. I left it on my mouse mat whilst I had a brew and noticed a leg moving. I fetched it a sprig of flowers and gave it a drink of honey and water and it was soon tame. Not tame enough to sit and stay but then Alf and Moll aren’t. It did stick it’s tongue out to drink and get pollen or nectar from the flower but by the time I’d twigged that the removal of a flower petal would have improved the shot of it dinning it was buzzing about and not in the mood to be flashed at. Here she is…………….

_V0G8017

_V0G8018     Stuffing her ungrateful face.

_V0G8020      This is she covered in pollen and honey juice. I quite like this shot but hate those bloody catch lights from the strobes. I’m thinking of getting a soft box tent thingy; has anyone used one? I’m thinking I could set multiple strobes up as I have three Pocket Wizard machines to fire them and I could pop a leaf or twig behind. It would look better than a bit of scribble pad and the orange glow is a plastic lid I popped her drink in. Nearly forgot; she is an Early Bumblebee Worker. Bombus pratorum. Before I got into Phil's blogs and nature I thought using Latin names was just Bombustic. It makes sense to me now…………not really but the only knowledge I get is from folk that can differentiate between fifty or so little things that look the same even if I take the time to look. Most do it for nothing so I am getting used to using what they use and loving every minute.

Things are at last warming up here. The first Swallow arrived on Sunday but didn’t stay. Six males arrived yesterday but I haven’t seen them today. Carole loves animals but hates swallows crapping on her head from the rafters in the stables. She found me these though she dislikes spiders. Good lass.

_V0G8032    It looks dead but is still alive somewhere in the van. By jeezus it was quick. This is at 1:1 not cropped as I don’t crop macros or wildlife. I so rarely know what I’ve clicked I want to give folk a fair chance at an ID. I know this one it’s a House spider. Tegenaria summat. What the something is I’ll leave to those that know. It is almost in focus so worth a click. It is a bit fuzzy but I’ll get one perfect one day and what is more it will scuttle away.

Carole then caught me a Weevil. It runs fast but is smaller than a spider so a bit easier.

_V0G8021        Vine Weevil,  Otiorhynchus sulcatius. I had to tell my sister that it would be let loose. She causes more environmental damage buying from garden centres than these will ever do.

_V0G8027      I gave it nothing so why is it being sick. Maybe it doesn’t like me. It will have to get used to as it’s somewhere in the truck but I know three ladies who never did. I can’t remember them being sick on the floor though one was sick for weeks when she had a bunny in the oven. Silly girl, silly Weevil.

Silly Adrian but I enjoy the half inch world.

25 comments:

  1. Genesis 8:20 - "And Noah built an altar to the LORD; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, If you don't shut the fuck up with bible crap I'm coming back to Sheffield.
      Dafter than the Later day Saints you are.
      Just appreciate an out of focus insect. They were about long before Christianity or Judaism and they will be about long after humans exist..

      PS. Not sure about Buddhism as I could come back as a beetle or god forbid a king, prince, duchess,. No way I'm far too bright to be a royal. Royalty is just another name for special needs.

      Delete
  2. Well we know what happened last time someone built an ark let's hope it doesn't start raining Adrian. The weevil looks alien like in macro. And the bee drinking us fascinating. Great images

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Douglas, no rain forecast. You are but young and a bit buggered. You get shots of birds in flight. let me play close up. These are not that good. I am thinking of a way to get the little buggers better.

      Delete
  3. Great shots of Ms Bumble Bee.
    Would never have guessed the ????pede was actually a grub.
    Well done to Phil for coming up trumps again.
    You are beginning to remind me of the young Gerald Durrell - have you read My Family and Other Animals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John they are as good as I've got. the problem is for a year I've been using strobes. I hate the catch lights.
      Yes and i find it so interesting that I read it a month ago. He didn't have the species and sub species problems I have.

      Delete
  4. Great pictures Adrian, macro king.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know how you do it Adrian, is there no end to your talents?.... from reviving a 'dead' bee to making a perfectly well weevil 'sick'...

    Excellent shots once again, impressive detail..keep 'em coming....[;o)

    I've got a pop up light cube 'tent thingy', made of white ripstop nylon, it's about a meter square. It doesn't have a solid base (all sides are the same apart from one which has a false panel ((with a slit for poking the lens through)) for loading/setting up etc.) therefor it requires a solid base/table to stand it on...and being so light it's very easy to knock/nudge/move it and upset everything inside....You've probably gathered by now that I didn't get on with it very well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll give the tent thing a miss and try and think of another solution.

      Delete
  6. A particularly lengthy musing today Adrian. Enjoy the

    ReplyDelete
  7. The heavy coat of hair on the bees is amazing. the brilliant color is also attractive. You had a gold mine today as you were supplies with different species of critters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, there are a few more turning up now.

      Delete
  8. Creeepy! Grat shots. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have missed a few posts, but these are exemplary macros.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't imagine being turned on by a vomiting weevil.

    Ae you sure the disappearing spider isn't inside a dog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances, I don't know what made it sick.
      The spider could be anywhere but I don't think the dogs eat them.

      Delete
  11. there is an another world in such a little animals...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Laura, there is. I never tire of looking at them.

      Delete