ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Sunday 5 April 2015

INSECTS ON A MIRROR. (05/04/15)

I haven’t been taking many pictures during the last few days. On Friday I left Foyers and braved the A9 down to Kinross.

This morning I got the mirror out and went looking under logs for insects. I then had to try and make them behave long enough for a photograph.

_V0G7876    Things started off much better than I could have expected. This Millipede is doing what millipedes do best and rolling up into a ball.

_V0G7877   It became more confident and was soon running about.

_V0G7887 It didn’t take it long to reach the edge of the mirror in a bid to escape.

_V0G7888 Here you can see it has four legs per segment. I noticed that it doesn’t use all it’s legs all the time, it seems to rest a few whilst running on the others. These were shot at twice life size and tested my patience. It’s amazing how fast they move. I released it back under a log and continued entertaining myself with this spider.

_V0G7890 Garden Spider, Araneus diadematus. If I thought the millipede was fast it’s a good job I didn’t start with this…….like Road Runner it was.

_V0G7893   It did stay still crouched down for a while whilst it admired itself.

_V0G7897 I spent a good half hour trying to get it to pose face on but I don’t think it could understand my English accent. I have released it back into the greenhouse where it can do some good by eating an aphid or two.

I quite like the front surfaced mirror but I suspect the insects are less impressed.

18 comments:

  1. Whoa, now I've got the willies! Great shots, though.
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. And a happy Easter to you, too, Adrian! I know you're not into God, but millipedes...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances, I had forgotten it was Easter. Spiders and Millipedes like Easter but don't like chocolate.

      Delete
  3. On the mirror these look amazing Adrian. As a viewer it gives me another angle to look at in close detail. The crouching spider is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Douglas, front surfced mirrors are interesting. These are from Autocue projectors and are rejects as they have blemishes.

      Delete
  4. Now only you could design a situation where you use a mirror to take photos of insects under a log. You've got a very nice set of photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, I got the insects out from under the log first.

      Delete
  5. Quite a study!



    ALOHA from Honolulu,
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are amazing shots Adrian.Wonderful to see themclose up as well as ifrom 2 different directions although I could only see they had 2 legs per segment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, they have legs on both left and right sides. I could only show one side so you are correct.

      Delete
  7. Wow, great shots. You can slow insects down by sticking them in the fridge for 10 minutes. A trick I learnt from an entomologist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate, they are a challenge. I do pop them in the fridge but they warm up very quickly. I have tried keeping them in the dark but then I can't see to focus. It keeps me amused and I do enjoy looking at them at my leisure.

      Delete
  8. A millipede doing an impression of an ammonite!
    A great way of seeing the underneath of mini beasts as well as the usual view.

    ReplyDelete