ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Friday 24 April 2015

BOLETUS FRAUDULOSUS. (24/04/15)

There is a bit of cloud about today but it is still superb weather. It’s all set to change back to rain this evening. It’s a shame for me but Ken who owns this farm is getting desperate for his barley is needing a drink. I thought I’d show you a bit of where I am.Untitled_Panorama1  Glassharts Glen. The van is just this side and to the left of the green barn.

_MG_3293  It’s a good place and would be better without the wind turbine and pylons but one is never far from a turbine or pylon in Scotland. There seems to be a monstrosity free zone around Braemar, it can’t be windy there or maybe they think they have enough of a cross to bear with the neighbours.

_MG_3288   

_MG_3286                  These are a bit of the woodland we wander through. Mostly conifers but with a smattering of beech and oak.

_MG_3288    It’s a grand place with plenty of light and insects. Birds by the score and at least two red squirrel, the downside are the roe deer which are good to see but the dogs are a damn nuisance with them.

_V0G8085     A few Marsh violets to keep the Wood sorrel company.

I went back to have another look at the fungus and have now got not only a hitherto unknown one but I have named it.

_V0G8086     Boletus cauculus.

_V0G8087

_V0G8088    I felt a right dipstick when I touched it this morning so reassembled it so others would not get muddled up. Boletus fraudulosus it definitely is.

Have a great weekend.

28 comments:

  1. The forests look superb. I have to admit a splash of rain wouldn't go unwelcomed the ground here is like concrete and the reed bed I visit is dangerously dried out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Douglas, plenty to macro living in the woods. It's only a fortnight since it was peeing down here but the ground id very dry. It's damp enough under the trees.

      Delete
  2. some pretty shots there. Nice place to hike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. R.Mac, my hiking days are done, two or three miles a day does me.

      Delete
  3. It's nice to see the countryside as well as the macros.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, it's not a dramatic landscape but it is restful.

      Delete
  4. Lovely open and wooded space there Adrian.

    The final section raised a smile here. I guess you won't be frying some to have with your haggis and chips for supper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, it is managed woodland but not so as you would notice.
      I felt a right idiot. I wonder how many other folk have seen it?

      Delete
  5. You've got a beautiful area in which to explore Adrian...even if it does hold more than it's fair share of practical jokers!!
    I, for one, was fooled by the 'stone age' fungi, I spent ages looking through my books and searching on t'internet...were you having us on, or did you truly know that it wasn't what it purported to be? It did look convincing though.

    I think your violet is a Common Dog-violet (viola riviniana) The notched spur (the light coloured 'thingy' sticking up at the back) is diagnostic.

    Have a good (wet) weekend...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really didn't realise until this morning. I too trawled the internet. I feel a right idiot.
      Thanks for the ID. I thought I should have stuck with violet and not pushed my luck.
      I have a flower for tomorrow that is microscopic...almost. I am still looking for it so may know what it is before I post.

      Delete
  6. Ha ha ha, the mushroom is funny, ha ha, you got me there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful local..
    I loved your petrified mushroom!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, I'll see what it looks like in the rain. It is a very gentle landscape.
      I spent hours trying to identify a couple of pebbles.

      Delete
  8. Now that really is my kind of woodland. I could happily wander in their for ages. It's coniferous forests with which I can't cope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, it's perfect. Not too large but big enough to have some diversity.

      Delete
  9. Your fraud was a very fun post. It's great to have a sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, it is funny but i did spend a few hours trying to identify it.

      Delete
  10. HI Adrian It looks a lovely area to explore and you say they are lots of birds so it would be lovely to see some of those or to who what is up there. Love the violet. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, there are lots of birds but they are sixty feet up in the trees. Fine for listening to.

      Delete
  11. From vast landscapes to secluded moments in the woods, this post has it all. I can't decide which one I like the most, but I know that I would enjoy a hike in that forest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mersad, it is a gentle area and very compact.

      Delete
  12. A beautiful place to stay Adrian. Love the look of those woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith it's turning cold again. The woods are fine but there are a lot of ants so not a place to sit for long.

      Delete
  13. That must be a lovely place to wake up to Adrian - especially given this recent fine spring weather. You seem to know a hell of a lot of people with space for your camper van. Nice to see you moving away from macro images in this post so your devoted followers can see where you are. How about a guided photo-tour blogpost of the camper van so that we can see where and how you live? (Might need a bit of tidying up beforehand!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, there are no shortage of places to stay but finding them in good surroundings at reasonable prices is getting harder.
      I will think about sharing the squalor with you sometime but not any time soon.

      Delete
  14. Me encanta la flor !!!
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete