ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Saturday 20 February 2010

OLD AGE (19/02/10)

Another freezing cold night I awoke to attend to a call of nature, stumbled into the heads half asleep, groped about for the light switch and eventually on came the lights…….Did me little good, it was so cold I couldn’t locate the equipment. Sat down to the job, solved that wee problem. Or should that read, tiddley problem?

I looked outside and there was a perfect starry night. Now I’ve been meaning to have a go at star trails for a while and it seemed too good an opportunity to miss. Located the camera, cable release and tripod, belatedly remembered that clothes would be an advantage and staggered out into sub zero temperatures with no, or little, light pollution.  Sat there firing off thirty second exposures till I got bored then came back in and blended them…………………………

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Voila! Star trails from the truck, there was one shooting star, most likely a bit of scrap. So I didn’t wish upon it! Nor did the camera record it but it did get one……Just above the tree at about one o’clock. This image is a bit noisy, I’ll see what I can do about that next time………Sometimes I get to wondering why I live alone? Now I know…. Even the dog thought I was crackers!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA    Carried on playing till daybreak. I did get rid of a lot of noise but also too much foreground, not that there was a lot to start with. I should have waved my torch about over the trees, it would have brightened them up a touch.

Decided to have a look at the Scafell side of the valley today. So about half eight after making a pack up and having breakfast off we set.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA     A bit of cloud around, nothing to worry about.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA    There’s plenty of clear sky out to the west. It’s a pity I‘ve not got crampons and an Ice axe. I just know, were I to make the not inconsiderable investment. I’d see nothing but rain for the rest of my life. Be OK if one could drop on them second hand but firstly there are no Oxfam shops around and secondly I can’t recall their stocking such things.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA      We are slowly gaining altitude on the shoulder of Lingmell, mitts gone, hat gone, jacket off and sleeves rolled up. Almost bikini weather! The white building to the left on the valley floor is the Wasdale Head Inn. Some interesting photographs of early climbers on the walls. I dropped in yesterday for a pint and for old times sake. Waste of time there were more kids than one would find in reception class at an infant school. That’s the pub for you, they ban smoking and introduce other peoples toxic children.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA     Illgill Head on the left and Wast Water. This must be starting to get tedious…. Just can’t help it, I feel like the cat that got the cream.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA      Higher we go and unfortunately so do the reflections.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA       Molly, a little bemused, she loves ploughing and rolling in snow but this stuff is rock hard.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA       Where the stones stop it was seriously slippery, time for home, annoying as we are only an hour at the outside from the top and the highest place in England.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA      Home is in the pine trees centre left. We just got back and the rescue helicopter is doing it’s job……….

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERANow I bet there’s someone in there disillusioned enough to sell some gear cheap. Above a couple of thousand feet the fells are in full winter condition, beautiful, but fun not to be taken lightly.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA That’s it for mountains. Tomorrow we head for Keswick. Will do a separate post today as we fed the birds when we got back.

2 comments:

  1. Your enjoyment of this place is shining through your pictures Adrian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ta Keith, It was a magical few days, could hardly find time for sleep.

    ReplyDelete